Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

Brunelleschi's Dome: The Story of the Great Cathedral in Florence

Posted by Tilapia on 29/8/2009 at 01:50

A friend lent this to me before I headed over to Italy and France this summer. I was a bit skeptical at first as he's heavily into the technical aspects of architecture. However, this book is anything but.

Ross King has documented the story of one of history's most creative minds, Filippo Brunelleschi, and his greatest achievement ... the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence. Even today it remains the largest dome built from bricks and mortar, built without any supporting structure!!!

This guy was a short-fused, paranoid, eccentric who influenced the likes of Michaelangelo, Donatello, and Leonardo da Vinci (who even copied several of Fillipo's inventions.) He was a clockmaker, engineer and designer who excavated areas of ruined Rome (together with Donatello) in order to study design and building techniques from 2000 years earlier. Techniques that had been completely lost with the downfall of Rome.

The book gives good insight into how structures like these were constructed, and the social, political, and personal aspects that were involved. Competing architects, war, plague, "free" and illiterate masons all come into play at a time shortly after the creation of many of SE Asia's great temples.

For anyone interested in Medieval Italy, architecture, and design, I would strongly recommend this book. Even for those who aren't into these kinds of things, it's still a very interesting and engrossing read. It's not a big book, and it's a bit of a page-turner.

I'm looking forward to reading another one of his books on the creation of the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

#1 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by SBE on 29/8/2009 at 02:54

Reminds me of a book I very reluctantly started reading because there was nothing else left on the bookshelf in a GH in Indonesia. The subject matter did not sound exactly gripping ... something about Medieval cathedral builders called "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet.

Well, it turned out to be one of the best books I've read in years, a real page turner! I highly recommend it if you haven't already read it.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Archmichael on 13/2/2010 at 12:27

Ah yes! I read "Brunelleschi's Dome" a couple of years ago. A great read.

#3 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.