Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

Solo Traveling - 22 year old chick, 6-7 months - advice needed

Posted by katyesmith on 4/7/2010 at 21:22

Hello all,

I am planning to go traveling by myself for about 7 months or as long as my pocket will allow me.

I went solo backpacking around UK/Euro about 3 years ago, and have traveled extensively to other destinations inclusive of Thailand. I have an open and respectful mind towards other cultures, yet craving a another extended culture shock!

Like anyone else, I have growing concerns about solo traveling by myself through SEA (mainly fueled by horror stories I have accidently stumbled across or fictional stories created by my mother).

A couple of people have reassured me that I will meet people along the way, and all will be well - and I am more than certain friends will come and meet me during my trip.

Basically, I was wanting some advice from fellow female solo travelers. Obviously you cannot predict the safety of my trip - as everyones is different, however wanting some insider knowledge.

I was planning on leaving on November, however due to last minute family commitments and my amazing ability to somehow spend my whole entire fortnightly pay check on rubbish has pushed the trip to early February.

First stop is Indo for some waves.

Drop me a line,

#1 katyesmith has been a member since 4/7/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 6
 Send katyesmith a private message 

Posted by pskim17 on 26/4/2011 at 03:17

Oh man, I wish that you wrote this in 2011. I was reading this and was wondering if I had somehow posted this without realizing it.
I am also going to travel by myself for about 6 months or as long as my wallet empties.

I went solo backpacking around Europe and North Africa about two years ago, and have backpacked around Asia. I have an open and respectful mind towards other cultures, yet craving a another extended culture shock! (same)

I leave for Indonesia next week to chase whale sharks.

How did you find traveling on your own? Were you asked where your husband was? When I was in Thailand and Malaysia, my traveling companion and I eventually agreed to be married. It was just easier.

Any words of advice you can pass on to a fellow woman traveller? Most of my friends just think I'm crazy, but something tells me you'll understand.

#2 pskim17 has been a member since 26/4/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 1
 Send pskim17 a private message 

Posted by crooze on 16/6/2011 at 14:39

travel is all about a discovery, of your own self, of the world and people. They say, nothing can teach you more than travelling. Like any experience travelling also has its own share of ups and downs. So, the only way to find out is go out and experience yourself.

As long as you follow some basic principals, you can be safe anywhere you travel around the world.

By the way, I live in jakarta now and frequent Bali quite often. If you guys are around that time, do let me know if you wanna catch up for a coffee or need any help.

#3 crooze has been a member since 23/5/2011. Location: India. Posts: 3
 Send crooze a private message 

Posted by lazybus on 16/4/2013 at 11:49

Hello, I highly recommend Taiwan for first time travelers to Southeast Asia! It's SAFE, CHEAP, BEAUTIFUL, FUN and the people there are super friendly. I'm a Taiwanese from Canada, and I noticed not many backpackers come to Taiwan because it's not famous enough! So me and my friend we made a new Facebook page about fun things to do in Taiwan, you can go check it out! Hope it helps:)

#4 lazybus has been a member since 16/4/2013. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.