Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

29 year old San Franciscan spending 6 months in most of SE Asia

Posted by yipe on 2/9/2010 at 08:04

Hello Travelfish! Starting in mid to late October I'll be spending 6+ months backpacking through se asia and it would be fun to meet up with fellow travelers for a day, a week, or longer.

I have nothing set in stone (by design) but I plan on moving through Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, then Vietnam. I plan on learning to scuba dive and possibly sail, and I definitely plan on reading a lot on remote beaches. I'm also pretty serious about photography and look forward to meeting some fellow photo enthusiasts along the way. I'll be hiking/biking/driving with my camera gear to beautiful scenic locations and I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I had a second person with me since I imagine a solo traveler with a DSLR would stand out like a sore thumb.

Will any of you fine travelfishies™ be in those areas and interested to meet up? Anyone want to learn to scuba dive together? Any photo people want to travel in a small group to sketchier / more remote areas?

#1 yipe has been a member since 2/9/2010. Location: United States. Posts: 7
 Send yipe a private message   Website 

Posted by Steve81 on 3/9/2010 at 04:50

Hi there! 29 yr old Welshhman here, will be doing similar trip to you, but I sart Sep 8th. Don't have set dates/route but looking to go to same places you are so may well be in a situation to meet up. Also very up for Scuba diving etc, anything like that really! Not much of a dab hand with the camera, but very into getting to the remote areas etc. Always keen for an adventure!

Steve

#2 Steve81 has been a member since 12/3/2010. Posts: 23
 Send Steve81 a private message 

Posted by Cabawe on 3/9/2010 at 06:12

Hi there,

I'm heading out on the 1st of October (Bangkok) for 4-5 weeks, looking for a travel buddy also, absolutely nothing planed other than I'm going come hell or high water.

I'm on facebook >> tcabawe at matiatours dot com

Taz

#3 Cabawe has been a member since 11/8/2010. Posts: 18
 Send Cabawe a private message 

Posted by Cabawe on 3/9/2010 at 06:13

Hi there,

I'm heading out on the 1st of October (Bangkok) for 4-5 weeks, looking for a travel buddy also, absolutely nothing planed other than I'm going come hell or high water.

I'm on facebook >> tcabawe at matiatours dot com

Taz

#4 Cabawe has been a member since 11/8/2010. Posts: 18
 Send Cabawe a private message 

Posted by VonWOOTER on 3/9/2010 at 07:39

I'm doing a similiar trip landing @ BKK first week of October. Getting certified is hundred percent on my list and I'm more or less winging my timeline. Though I'm not a credited photo guru by any means my little pentax does wonders. Best of luck.

Matt

#5 VonWOOTER has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 6
 Send VonWOOTER a private message 

Posted by Lynn2306 on 8/10/2010 at 21:56

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey, Im lynn, from vietnam. im living in ho Chi minh city. welcome to our amazing city. if u want, we can meet up for drink something or i can show u around the city
u can send an email to me when u are coming via this email: lynn.ho2306@gmail.com or contact with me via facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/lyhn.ho

#6 Lynn2306 has been a member since 30/6/2010. Posts: 18
 Send Lynn2306 a private message 

Posted by lola899 on 17/10/2010 at 01:41

Hi!
I plan on going to SEA February 2010 for a couple of months, and plan on doing same activities you are, would love to meet up. Also a photography lover and plan on taking awesome photos. I plan on seeing a lot from beaches to taking bike trips...

Email me at lola899 at gmail

#7 lola899 has been a member since 7/9/2010. Posts: 36

Posted by lola899 on 17/10/2010 at 01:41

Hi!
I plan on going to SEA February 2010 for a couple of months, and plan on doing same activities you are, would love to meet up. Also a photography lover and plan on taking awesome photos. I plan on seeing a lot from beaches to taking bike trips...

Email me at lola899 at gmail

#8 lola899 has been a member since 7/9/2010. Posts: 36

Posted by travellite on 28/10/2010 at 06:27

Hey yipe, i'm doing 5 months in SEA starting in Dec. I'm a 23 yo American also from norcal, not the bay though, more towards Sac. Anyway sounds like we have some similar interests. I love photography although i'm not an expert just recreational really. I too have a SLR, however i'm opting to leave it at home since i'll be doing the whole "backpacker" thing. I definitely want to learn to scuba dive, also something i'm also really considering is seeing Vietnam by motorbike. I intend to hit up all the countries you listed, my itinerary/route is super tentative. I'd love to get off the beaten path a bit.

Cheers!

#9 travellite has been a member since 6/4/2010. Posts: 17

Posted by yipe on 28/10/2010 at 10:35

Hey travellite, email me at mike at yipe dot org. I'll be in Myanmar in the first half of december but around Dec 20th I'm in Cambodia and totally wide open after that… around Feb I want to make it to Thailand to meet up with another friend. I'd love to motorbike between the two, share accommodations, get into random adventures, etc. Talk to you soon! You can also check out my first two weeks of travel pics here: http://flickr.com/yipemike… I just took some fun pics of monkeys :)

#10 yipe has been a member since 2/9/2010. Location: United States. Posts: 7
 Send yipe a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.