Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

24 year old male from the US traveling SE Asia may 2011

Posted by ryanm24 on 27/4/2011 at 12:06

Hello all,

So I just got out of the military a year ago this past February and have been in school since I got out. I just finished and would like to travel before I start in on my career. I have never really traveled before and, as it looks right now I am probably going to be going it alone. Any advice on anything from a good place to start to what insurance I should use is very much appreciated. Also, would love to travel with someone for any amount of the trip, especially someone with some experience traveling SE Asia. But hey the more the merrier!

Thanks and happy traveling.

#1 ryanm24 has been a member since 25/4/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 11
 Send ryanm24 a private message   Where has ryanm24 been? 

Posted by Thomas922 on 27/4/2011 at 14:32

OK dude. You have to be more detailed to get a response. So when are you planning to travel? How much cash do you have to spend? That will determine how long you may have. SE Asia mainland includes 'Nam, Thai, Laos,Cambodia, Burma, Malaysia, and Singapore if you plan to stay on the ground. (Meaning not flying over to the Philippines or Indonesia etc. You could do internal flights in these countries. You need to look at the countries on this website and see if there is something that really floats your boat. Look at a copy of SE Asia on a Shoestring (LP guide) and get some ideas. But you need to sit down and decide first ...what is my budget..and 2 when am I going?

#2 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Send Thomas922 a private message   Instagram 

Posted by ryanm24 on 27/4/2011 at 20:59

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the advice. I will be leaving in late May 23 from LAX to Manila, Philippines. From there I want to go to Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand are the main places I want to see but I would also love to go to Cambodia and Vietnam as well. I have $16,000 saved for this trip and a year to do it in. Honestly, I just wanted to land somewhere in SE Asia and take off from there going wherever the wind blows me lol. Is that a bad idea?

Thanks again.

#3 ryanm24 has been a member since 25/4/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 11
 Send ryanm24 a private message   Where has ryanm24 been? 

Posted by sizzflair on 27/4/2011 at 23:17

Ryan,

look at my post. If you can travel in June, you have a partner. I'm in the military too.

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelcompanions/14351_

#4 sizzflair has been a member since 20/4/2011. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.