Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

2013 - 6 months in Thailand and neighbouring countries ( malaysia, indonesia, bali ) perhaps?

Posted by subliminal29 on 15/10/2011 at 05:13

hi there, quite premature i know but i'm planning ahead for 2013, i'm looking for a companion or more to join me on my first time backpacking in Asia. i'm looking at Thailand north to south and possibly incorporating some other countries. i'm really open to suggestions and help in planning a route. would be great to travel with others.

#1 subliminal29 has been a member since 15/10/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by altmtl on 15/10/2011 at 06:06

yes it's very premature, as most people only look a few weeks or months before -:)

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by subliminal29 on 15/10/2011 at 16:42

thanks for the negative reply, your obviously a follower of what MOST people do. i'm just planning ahead. if you want to respond to my post in a positive way then please feel free, otherwise dont bother posting anything.

#3 subliminal29 has been a member since 15/10/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by altmtl on 16/10/2011 at 11:43

My reply is a realistic one... based on over 30 yrs of travel experience, I'm going to SEA on Jan.1st - it will be my 4th visit. Planning in advance for me is 3- 4 months - for others it is less... for some it is more - thinking they can see all of SEA in 2 weeks! I'm sorry, but if you don't want opinions don't ask for them!

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995

Posted by altmtl on 16/10/2011 at 13:01

P.S I'm not a fan of what MOST people do, I don't follow the mainstream tourist routes... good luck.

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995

Posted by KatjaKat on 16/10/2011 at 23:48

I'm sure lots of people are willing to help and/or travel with you, but they'll only be put off my such an aggressive reaction to honest advice. Besides, altml is probably right. Most people plan their trips a few months before leaving. I've had my tickets for months but I'm only doing the serious planning now. I'm leaving in five weeks...

Anyway, I hope you have a great trip and that you find some good friends for company!

#6 KatjaKat has been a member since 7/4/2011. Posts: 6
 Send KatjaKat a private message   Twitter 

Posted by subliminal29 on 17/10/2011 at 05:39

what may have come across as aggressive was certainly not intended in that way, i just thought the initial response was very blunt and unhelpful to what i'm actually asking for.

i hope your trip in 5 weeks turns out to be your best yet.

#7 subliminal29 has been a member since 15/10/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 17/10/2011 at 11:34

Well it's certainly pretty early to be companion hunting. That's more than a full year away, so nobody is going to have a firm enough idea of where they will go this early out. But not too early to start thinking about some aspects of the trip:

1. Just a thought, because you are not me, but I do not like traveling with other people. Why rope in "companions" who, in this case, are people you don't even know? If you travel on your own you get to decide where you are going and when you are going there. No one elses desires need be accomodated. You also get to decide when and where you are going to eat and so forth. You have a lot more independence.
2. If you have a traveling companion from which you come from the same cultural orientation and have a common language background, you are far less likely to spend much time with indigenous people. Like everyone, you'll gravitate to the person where communication is easiest and you are already familiar.

I would advocate looking at REALLY getting off the beaten path. A lot of backpackers think they are getting off the beaten path when they avoid Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui... but there are many places in Thailand which don't have amazing sites and so forth but are genuine and interesting for their human aspects. I've said here before on travelfish, but when I've been going to Saimun for over ten years now, and the last four I go there every month because I have a house there - I have never, ever - not once - seen a single tourist. There are places to go here where you will experience Thailand in a way that almost no one does. If you want to.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by SeemaSEA2013 on 27/2/2013 at 19:01

@ subliminal29...

Are you still going to SEA? If so, I am too, drop me a message on here and let me know what your plans are, I am heading there in a week.

Seema

#9 SeemaSEA2013 has been a member since 11/2/2013. Posts: 19
 Send SeemaSEA2013 a private message 

Posted by HPTravels on 27/4/2013 at 18:55

Hi,

Anyone heading to SEA in June 2013

Thanks

Hina

P.s..anyone recommend a good hostel in bangkok...reasonably priced and clean. Where backpackers likely to be as well.

Thanks

#10 HPTravels has been a member since 25/4/2013. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.