Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

solo 23/M planning on thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia and maybe malaysia starting 29Dec.

Posted by robbell on 16/12/2011 at 06:15

hi as the topic says im planning on travelling round south east Asia for approx. 4 and a half months. im 23 y/o man. flying out on the 28th of dec and I have 3 friends coming for the first 3 weeks starting with NYE on Phangan, then im going on solo. I like the idea of the freedom and to really see these places! but a massive part of travelling is meeting people. any body else got similar plans? or tips? all welcome.

#1 robbell has been a member since 7/12/2011. Posts: 6
 Send robbell a private message 

Posted by missgeo on 16/12/2011 at 21:25

Hey Rob
I'm flying into BKK on the 13th and I'm traveling solo too. I'm thinking of routing up north through Thailand, then cutting across northern Laos, going down through Vietnam, and then through Cambodia on my way back to BKK (kind of a big circle on the map). I'll be in BKK until the 18th and then heading Northwards. Let me know if you're around BKK or if you're following that general route and we can go adventuring!

-Charlotte

#2 missgeo has been a member since 19/3/2011. Location: Canada. Posts: 9
 Send missgeo a private message   Twitter 

Posted by robbell on 17/12/2011 at 06:38

hay, i think im going to be down south on the islands for the most of jan, i will then be goin up through BKK and heading to chang mai at the start of feb and visiting a few of the local towns and villages there. where abouts in laos are you going. im still undecided wheather to enter through one of the more central boarders or to stick with up north. ideally i want to follow this with travelling down vietnam on to cambodia?

#3 robbell has been a member since 7/12/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by altmtl on 17/12/2011 at 07:17

If you want to go off the beaten track, give Koh Phayam and little Koh Chang a try in the south...

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 996
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by robbell on 18/12/2011 at 02:25

chers altmtl, ive been looking at the possibility of diving at the similan islands on my way to Malaysia. they look awsome! just whether i can afford it or not! cant wait to just get out there now.

#5 robbell has been a member since 7/12/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by vkng on 20/12/2011 at 05:59

oh wow you're travelling on the same day as I am :) I'll be in VN for at least a month; I go every year, so I'm quite familiar with the main cities (although I believe I'll be spending the majority of the time in HCM). If you're interested hit me up and I'll be more than happy to give you some pointers :)

#6 vkng has been a member since 20/12/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by robbell on 26/12/2011 at 15:52

hay vkng, yeeh you must be gettin pretty excited too then, im just starting to proply pack! cant wait to get out there! few pointers from someone who knows there way round would be much appriciated! was bit unsure about how to go about Ha long bay? love the idea of relaxing on a boat for a few days, really gettin a chance to explore!! got any experience with it?

#7 robbell has been a member since 7/12/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by jolietang on 31/12/2011 at 01:58

so you will be on koh phangan for 3 weeks!?

#8 jolietang has been a member since 22/12/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by vkng on 16/1/2012 at 00:30

oh -.- i typed up a mass reply (belated, admittedly) and then forgot to confirm it. ha long bay is beautiful; you'll love the beaches and the boat rides are fabulous. the seafood there is amazing too--don't miss out on that! the last time i went was two years ago so i can't give you an updated piece of advice, but i did travel by bus when i went and it only cost me around 50AUD to and from. hope that helps! i actually had to delay my trip to VN and am currently on my way to HK now; will be in HCMC in feb, which is a bummer!

#9 vkng has been a member since 20/12/2011. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.