Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

22f heading solo to Bangkok February 29

Posted by ange7a on 17/2/2012 at 20:12

Hi all!

I'm a 22 year old female from Vancouver, BC (Canada) who will be arriving in Bangkok on February 29. I will be travelling solo, likely bewildered, and looking for friendly people to meet up with. I'll likely stay in Bangkok for a week or so before moving on to elsewhere in Thailand.

I'll be travelling for ~6 months, likely hitting up Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, and Sri Lanka in addition to Thailand so contact me if you're going to be in the area between March-August and interested in hanging out!

#1 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by aprime on 19/2/2012 at 17:54

Hi!
I'm a 25 male from nyc who's traveling into bangkok tomorrow. I think my tentative plans are to stay in the city for a week or two and then travel elsewhere within Thailand. I'm leaning towards a week at the beach following being in the city for a bit. Following that I also plan on traveling to Vietnam then seeing where my travels take me. Perhaps our stay in Bangkok will overlap ?

-a'

#2 aprime has been a member since 12/2/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by ange7a on 19/2/2012 at 19:03

That would be great! Do you know where you're going to be staying whilst in Bangkok? I just booked a couple of nights at a hostel for February 29th to March 3rd. It would be cool if you were still in the city, as I also plan to head away from the main center fairly quickly...we could discuss beaches! :)

#3 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by karlrufus on 20/2/2012 at 02:29

Hi guys, I'll probably be getting to Bangkok on the 29th as well and fly out on the 3rd, I'm a 27 year old guy from the UK. Let me know through here if you want to meet up as I'm also travelling alone

#4 karlrufus has been a member since 9/1/2012. Posts: 12

Posted by aprime on 20/2/2012 at 07:23

Hello again,
One of my family members decided to put me up in a hotel for a few nights, so I decided not to pass that up, but that should be before you arrive! During that time period I'll take a look around the city and see if anything specific sticks out for places to stay for the next few days. Hopefully it'll give me a good chance to feel a few places out. Any beach/ island inpeticular that your looking for? I'm pretty open to ideas... ko samui looks fairly tempting however. Feel free to contact me at aprime987@gmail.com and we could chat a bit more!

-a'

#5 aprime has been a member since 12/2/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by ange7a on 20/2/2012 at 13:35

Hey karlrufus, I'd be happy to meet up with you! Where are you flying out to on the 3rd? I've booked a hostel in Bangkok from the 29th til the 3rd, so I will definitely be in the city until then.

I'll be getting in on the afternoon of the 29th if all goes well and hope to spend the day on the 1st checking out some of the sights, maybe some of the Wats?

#6 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by karlrufus on 21/2/2012 at 00:04

I'm flying out to Bali to spend a couple of weeks there and on the Gili Islands before moving onto New Zealand. I will probably overnight bus/train it to Bangkok, not sure of where I'll stay yet, although I'll probably avoid Khao San road and stay a bit further out.

#7 karlrufus has been a member since 9/1/2012. Posts: 12

Posted by ellierose on 23/2/2012 at 14:00

Hello all,

I am a solo f traveller, getting into Bangkok next Friday 2nd March and would love to meet up/exchange tips... I have not planned my trip at all, but hoping to do some sea kayaking, cookery courses, beach camping etc. If anyone wants to meet then get in touch!

Enjoy your trips!

Ellie

#8 ellierose has been a member since 23/2/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by mutton on 24/2/2012 at 21:13

Hi all, I'm also due in Bangkok 29th Feb and am solo until 3rd Mar. 25 m from Scotland, been in Bangkok couple of times before and travelled through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia so more than happy to pass on some advice, tips and tricks.

Y'all want to meet up on khao san for a few beers on 29th? McDonald's for 7pm?

Cheers

Martin

#9 mutton has been a member since 22/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 9
 Send mutton a private message   Twitter 

Posted by ange7a on 25/2/2012 at 15:21

Hi Martin!

Sounds great, I'd love to chat with you and pick up some tips and tricks :)

I'll try to make it there for 7pm if I'm not too confused!

#10 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by karlrufus on 27/2/2012 at 11:06

I'm not getting to bangkok until the 2nd now, pai and chiang mai has eaten up all my time in thailand it seems. Everyone should go to pai, its literally the best place i've been to in asia so far. So yeah, i probably won't see you guys unless you're around in the daytime on the 2nd as I have to be up at 5-6am on the 3rd to fly to bali. Hope you all have an amazing time though!

#11 karlrufus has been a member since 9/1/2012. Posts: 12

Posted by irishlass24 on 28/2/2012 at 11:10

hey guys i arrive 1st march in the day!! Im leaving tmrw from dublin Ireland! Im a 24 year old solo traveller first time travelling on my own! ahh scared but excited am staying on Kao san road for few nights in BKK then plan to head up north and then laos viet cambodia then back down to south islands have got 6 months to play with :) be great to catch p in bkk let me know :)

#12 irishlass24 has been a member since 4/1/2012. Posts: 8
 Send irishlass24 a private message 

Posted by time2fly on 28/2/2012 at 16:59

I will see you in April from Canada also!!!

#13 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112
 Send time2fly a private message 

Posted by ange7a on 28/2/2012 at 20:47

Hey irishlass24, I'm also going to be staying on Khao San for a couple of days and also plan to head north afterwards. I'm going to be arriving in Bangkok later today, perhaps we can arrange to meet up once you arrive? Let me know! :)
karlrufus, thanks for checking in, Pai sounds fantastic and I will definitely put it on my list of places to check out now. I may or may not be around in the daytime on the 2nd, if I am maybe we can have a quick drink or meal together!

#14 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by mutton on 29/2/2012 at 01:34

Hi ange I'll wait around at McDonald's from 7 til 7:20, got a white singha beer t shirt on.

Irishlass and anyone else - same time, same place tomorrow

Martin

#15 mutton has been a member since 22/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 9

Posted by ellierose on 29/2/2012 at 03:52

Hey guys,

If anyone is still about on Friday 2nd then let me know! Will be getting into Bangkok at 11am ish. Also, could anyone recommend a good hostel for my first few nights?

Planning on travelling up to Chiang Mai and Pai after.

Cheers x

#16 ellierose has been a member since 23/2/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by mutton on 29/2/2012 at 06:02

Ok my flights delayed so sorry, I'm a no show tonight. 7pm tomorrow and will aim to be at McD's @ 7pm for the next few days for a travelfish meet point

Cheers

Martin

#17 mutton has been a member since 22/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 9

Posted by ange7a on 29/2/2012 at 06:30

Martin, no worries, the same thing happened to me (flight was delayed) and I just got in a little while ago. What time are you getting in? I'm pretty much wide open, so can meet tomorrow at 7 but can also meet during the day if you're around!

ellierose, I'll still be around on the 2nd - I'm staying at NapPark Hostel on Khao San Road.

#18 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by mutton on 29/2/2012 at 07:27

Hey I just got in now, got a few things to do tomorrow morning (mostly sleeping!) but can meet for lunch if you like. 12pm @ nap park? That's on tanee road if my memory is working

Martin

#19 mutton has been a member since 22/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 9

Posted by ange7a on 29/2/2012 at 08:35

You're remembering correctly! Catch up on your sleep and I'll see you tomorrow!

#20 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by ellierose on 29/2/2012 at 11:11

Hey ange7a and Martin,

Sounds good, I would love to meet up at 7pm on the 2nd. I think I'll be staying at New Joe Guesthouse, just waiting to confirm the reservation.

Not sure what to do re phone when I'm there, was planning on just not using it but maybe that's not a good idea! If I don't hear from you before, I will be at McDs at 7pm on the 2nd (if flights go to plan) - very pasty english girl, long hair and glasses! See you soon x

#21 ellierose has been a member since 23/2/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by tantan on 29/2/2012 at 22:25

Hi ange7a & ellierose,
Just came back from Mae Hong Son and Pai ,the Pichai guesthouse in Pai would like to recommend to you guys,it's really clean and tidy only 500baht/day,located at the main road in Pai,just walking distance to any places in Pai.....have a nice trip.....Cheers........
tt

#22 tantan has been a member since 23/3/2011. Posts: 50
 Send tantan a private message 

Posted by ange7a on 1/3/2012 at 05:48

Hey ellierose,

Hope you got in safe! Just wanted to let you know that there are actually two McDonalds on Khao San road and we will be at the one by the Chakraphong end (the westernmost one) - this is not the one by the police station. Hopefully we'll see you soon.

tan tan, thanks for the tip! Will definitely check it out :)

#23 ange7a has been a member since 17/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by irishlass24 on 1/3/2012 at 08:21

Hey guy is anyone meeting up tnrw night?? I arrived tonight but feeling bit lost think il have an early night tonight and plan to do stud tmrw!! So anyone free to meet tmrw night??

#24 irishlass24 has been a member since 4/1/2012. Posts: 8
 Send irishlass24 a private message 

Posted by mutton on 2/3/2012 at 07:06

Irishlass, ellierose, sorry this has not gone perfectly to plan so far! I met up with Ange7a but after that all planned meetings haven't materialized. If anyone still wants to join up ill be at Rikka Inn reception from 11:45 until 12:15, or you can leave me a note there (Martin Pringle) or just make a post on here. Apologies again if anyone's been stood up after all this, what can I say. It's Thai Time over here.
Cheers

Martin

#25 mutton has been a member since 22/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 9

Posted by ellierose on 2/3/2012 at 08:57

Hey Martin and co,

No worries! I am here now too, yes I guess I was at the other McDs nevermind! I am around now but gonna head to bed, hours are a bit all over the place as I'm sure you are finding too!

I am planning to stay around tomorrow for a bit of sight-seeing etc, and free in the evening too then think will jump on a night train and head to chiang mai sunday night. if anyone wants to meet in the day then do! Otherwise meet in the evening for a drink?

Looking forward to it! And thanks tt for the recommendations!

xx

#26 ellierose has been a member since 23/2/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by mutton on 3/3/2012 at 04:18

Hey, best bet now is call or text us (got a thai number on the go).

085 821 0293

Will be drinking in and around Khao San tonight, can't be more specific I'm afraid.

Cheers, Martin and Angela

#27 mutton has been a member since 22/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 9

Posted by ellierose on 3/3/2012 at 06:05

Hey guys,

Ok sounds good me too. I stil have my english phone, 07909 773637 not sure if it works as it won't let me text you. I'm going to get some food but text or call me and we could meet later thanks! x

#28 ellierose has been a member since 23/2/2012. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.