Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

Solo First Time Traveler in SEA Feb-June 2013, travel buddies and itinery tips sought! asap

Posted by SeemaSEA2013 on 11/2/2013 at 17:12

Hi Guys,

Have found this website really useful to date! I am lucky enough to have 4-5 months to travel SEA, not so lucky in that this time off was only finalised two weeks ago!

So I have a rough itinery on which any tips re what to see, travel between, safety issues and good places to stay would be greatly appreciated. Flights are due to be booked this week with a arrival in Bangkok for mid-late feb. Anyone who will be/is around at the same time and wants to meet fellow travelers please let me know too!

So, here goes:

Thailand (1 month):
Bangkok grand palace, wat phra, wat pho, chao phraya 3-4 N (slightly nervous re BKK alone)
Ko Tao 7N
Ko Pha Nang?
Railay 4N (love climbing...do need your own harness?! Or just shoes)
Khoa Sok 3N guided tour (preferably group)
Chang Mai area 10N

Laos (2 weeks):
Laung Prabang 4N
Huay Xai 3N Gibbons/Bokeo
Si Phan Don 5N

Vietnam n(3 weeks):
Sapa 3-4N
Hanoi 2N
Halong Bay 2N
Hoi 2N
Mui Ne 3N although have been advised to find a less touristy beach?!
Ho chi min 3N
Mekong delta 3-4N

Cambodia (2 weeks)

Phnom penh 3N
Siem Reap 5N
Kep and Kampot 4N

I suppose with travel between destinations this could take around 3-4 months, so I have a month spare, which I would love to visit China in but havent got time to sort out a visa at this end, can you sort it in BKK or other places? Also could do maybe Australia East coast as at ticket with this included is not a huge amount more than a return to BKK. Or do you think this would take up the whole 5 months. I suppose it depends on how much money I have used up by the end of the SEA circuit.

Other seeds of fear planted by others! - Travel ''Saturation'', Safety on public transport esp the longer journeys...

Anyway, please feel free to comment as am heading out in no time!

Thank you in advance,

Seema

#1 SeemaSEA2013 has been a member since 11/2/2013. Posts: 19
 Send SeemaSEA2013 a private message 

Posted by Clarissa on 11/2/2013 at 19:24

Hi Seema,

Sounds like a great trip. I'm currently doing SEA with my partner but we also did a trip last year which included Vietnam, Laos and a few of the Thai Islands. I'll only really be able to help with the Vietnam stuff though as I haven't been to many of the other places you listed.

Since I travelled with my partner I won't be able to help you much with accomodation but this also depends on how much you want to spend. In Sapa we stayed at Fansipan View hotel which had nice rooms, a balcony and a great view. We took a tour here but it could easily be done independently as the tracks aren't hard to walk and it would be easy to follow everyone else.

As for travelling by yourelf on the trains and buses (I wouldn't recomend the sleeper buses) I never felt threatened. I felt safe everywhere in SEA although arriving early in the dark on a sleeper train did make me feel vulnerable. We had to wait on the streets in Hanoi for our hotel to open in the early hours of the morning so if you're going to take the sleeper train make sure your hotel has 24hr reception.

I haven't been to Mui Ne, we went to Nha Trang instead. I didn't find the beaches very spectacular although we were there in monsoon season. After being to Thailand you may not appreciate the Vietnamese beaches. Maybe spend some more time in Hoi An as this is a great place to relax and explore or check out Phong Nha Ke Bang NP. It depends what you like doing, if you like the outdoors the tour we did with the Phong Nha Farmstay was alot of fun and Paradise cave is spectacular, personaaly I'm over seing caves but this cave is well worth seeing. Hoi An also has a beach, it was pouring rain when we went there so I'm ot sure what it's like but if you want to get some beach time in you could do it here.

I hope some of this helps :)

Clarissa

#2 Clarissa has been a member since 14/4/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by lily19 on 13/5/2013 at 19:33

Hello,

I am trying to look for a female companion traveling to Bangkok on June 11 until June 15.

This is my first time traveling alone and it would be wonderful to have a female companion.

I am planning to visit the historic sights of BKK and do a some shopping.

by the way I already have my plane ticket.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you are interested.

#3 lily19 has been a member since 13/5/2013. Posts: 14
 Send lily19 a private message 

Posted by lily19 on 13/5/2013 at 19:36

Hello,

I am trying to look for a female companion traveling to Bangkok on June 11 until June 15.

This is my first time traveling alone and it would be wonderful to have a female companion.

I am planning to visit the historic sights of BKK and do a some shopping.

by the way I already have my plane ticket.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you are interested.

#4 lily19 has been a member since 13/5/2013. Posts: 14
 Send lily19 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.