Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

Travelling solo starting sept 25 would love a travel buddy!

Posted by jcarter1989 on 19/8/2013 at 09:30

So, i made the scary decision to quit my job and travel! i'm 24 and would like to start in thailand and see as much of south east asia as possible.. I've been to Vietnam before and would love to go back there as it is awsome!!

I'm scared about going alone but thats the way it has to be as none of my friends would dare do it! I've heard it is easy to meet people when travelling so i'm hoping that proves true!!

I have not booked my flights yet but think i'll initially fly to bangkok on or around the 25 September... Please get in touch if you would like to join me at any point in the trip!

Any advice or tips would be amazing :)

Joe :)

#1 jcarter1989 has been a member since 19/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 19/8/2013 at 09:50

You can meet people but you may not be good friends or anything. Lots of people travel in pairs or threes but some travel solo. Have fun but be sensible and take out travel insurance. Also take note of the visa conditions. Nok and Air Asia are very good for local flights. If you like beaches check out Trang and Krabi. Use protection if you sleep around.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by chinarocks on 19/8/2013 at 10:32

"Use protection if you sleep around."

Probably good advice in any part of the world.

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 19/8/2013 at 18:30

For sure, but sometimes people leave their brains at the airport and need to be reminded. I'd also add try the street food. If it's cooked properly it's safer than the restaurant food that sits around. Fried grasshoppers taste like chips and have more protein than a hotdog.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 20/8/2013 at 01:21

"Fried grasshoppers taste like chips and have more protein than a hotdog."

Yeah, just like chips - except when the legs and stuff get caught in your teeth.

I hate fried insects. My daughter likes to taunt me with them.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by ian_itzin on 21/8/2013 at 00:34

hi i am doing the same thing i get to Thailand on sept 18th and i will be traveling around alone as well hit me up

#6 ian_itzin has been a member since 13/8/2013. Posts: 1
 Send ian_itzin a private message 

Posted by Irfaan_ZA on 10/9/2013 at 06:48

I'll be in Thailand on the 26th Sept. Will be looking to hook up with other solo travellers. Send me a message if anyone is interested. 26 M

#7 Irfaan_ZA has been a member since 2/9/2013. Location: South Africa. Posts: 2
 Send Irfaan_ZA a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.