Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

23 Year old Irish male heading to Thailand + the rest of SEA and Australia until the money runs out

Posted by anthony998 on 6/10/2009 at 22:05

Hey there,

While this may be my first post on TF I have been a regular visitor to the site and reader of forum discussions.

I'm a 23 year old Irish male from Belfast and I'm heading to Bangkok on the 20th of Oct. 2009. I'm easy-going, like a drink (well, I am Irish), doing activities and generally having a good time. I haven't really got a plan for what I'm going to do (I'm just going to see how things go and go with the flow).

I intend to go to the following countries: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong (maybe China aswell) before heading into Australia.

I've got a NIV with multiple entries for Thailand and a 1 year WHV for Oz so I am in no rush whatsoever. I'll only return home when I've either got bored (not likely) or run out of dough. :)

If you're up for grabbing a beer, travelling or what not give me a shout and we'll see if something works out.

Oh, sorry, one last thing. What am I looking to get out of this as its my first time travelling on my own? An insight into other cultures, to see the sights, learn some more Thai (been listening to Pimsleurs Thai audio tapes) and make new friends.

Hit me up if you're interested.

#1 anthony998 has been a member since 5/10/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by Dylan on 7/10/2009 at 05:00

I'm a 23-year-old guy (and current Manhattan resident) planning a 3-month long solo excusrion to SE Asia. My plan roughly coincides with yours--arrive in Thailand (bangkok) on Nov. 3, then spend roughly a month in Thailand, Laos and Vietnam, respectively.

I am actually applying for PhD programs in American History--specifically, social and cultural history as it relates to our involvement in Vietnam--so I'm interested in an "authentic" (problematic, I know) experience in the less-trammelled parts of Indochina.

Since I left my corporate job late this summer, I plan on a very loose itinerary, with plenty of time for relaxing/exploration.

Let me know if this sounds cool...

#2 Dylan has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 25

Posted by grap77 on 7/10/2009 at 14:17

Hey anthony,

I'm 22 year old guy from Canada and I arrive in Bangkok on the 20th of Oct as well. I'm only in SEA till the 25th of Nov. but if you want to meet up and grab a beer, I'd be game. Its my first time traveling alone so it would be nice to have someone to talk to once I get there.

If your interested let me know
the email's: or drop a response on here

Have a good one

#3 grap77 has been a member since 2/9/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by anthony998 on 7/10/2009 at 22:16

That sounds good. I'll e-mail you when I get back to Ireland and have access to my personal e-mail address. I'm currently working away from home at the minute and leave my job on Friday so I'll give you a shout then.

Have you got any idea where you're staying etc.? I've made no plans as of this moment in time and am wondering if you have heard of anywhere that's been reccommended?

#4 anthony998 has been a member since 5/10/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by wanderingwalters on 8/10/2009 at 00:05

I'm Adam from Leeds, England. Travelling alone to SE Asia for the first time on 8th November (31 Days to go WHOO). I arrive into Bangkok on the 9th but i'm flying up to Luang Parabang straight away. So if your, or anyone else, is around it would be good to meet for a cheeky few drinks.

#5 wanderingwalters has been a member since 16/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 17

Posted by grap77 on 8/10/2009 at 13:04

At the moment I dont have anything planned at all. I arrive pretty late I think around 11 at night and then I think I'm gonna head right on over to Kaoh San road and find a place to stay. I think I'm only gonna be in Bangkok for a couple days before heading on to Cambodia but like I said I am really up for anything and am gonna be super flexible.

#6 grap77 has been a member since 2/9/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by morts46 on 23/10/2009 at 18:42

now then anthony i am a 25 yeal old northener and i have exactly the same plan as you pal i am heading to bangkok mid nov and staying in bangkok a few days then was gonna go south to samui koh tau and a few more islands spend new year in samui and go to full moon party was there last year and its the dogs bollox !!!! then go to krabi and get the train back up north stopping along the way ending up in chaing mai then across into laos etc if you fancy a few cheeky beers somewhere along the way give me a shout

#7 morts46 has been a member since 23/10/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by morts46 on 4/11/2009 at 09:41

anthony get in touch pal at my e mail or hit me on facebook oli morton !!!

#8 morts46 has been a member since 23/10/2009. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.