Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

19 year old female looking for a travel buddy all over SE asia in april!

Posted by scl on 10/2/2010 at 18:29

Hello! I am a 19 year old Canadian female who plans to go to SE asia in April. I was thinking start in Indonesia or philipines, then head all the way up through vietnam/cambodia/laos/thailand/malaysia/singapore and end up in India. Maybe 5 months or so? I dont really have a plan yet, havnt book flights yet - going to do it last minute.

Yeah, Then coming back down to Australia till december, then going back home.

I am currently in Australia, arrived in January, and was in NZ a month before that. Im travelling with a friend from back home but she doesnt have enough money to go to asia... maybe she will work down in aus while i go to asia and she'll meet up.

But i definately dont want to go to asia myself!

feel free to contact me! my email is

#1 scl has been a member since 10/2/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by MADMAC on 10/2/2010 at 20:02

If you don't do anything stupid or funky, it's actually reasonably safe to travel here on your own. I would rather travel on my own than with someone I met on the net.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by francesstella on 18/2/2010 at 02:47

I have to agree with Mac.

When I visited Thailand last year I'd arranged to meet a friend in Bangkok a week after my arrival. I'd expected to spend that week mooching around feeling a bit lonely but, au contraire, I quickly found my footing & met some really good people. As it turned out my friend & I had very different travel tastes (partying vs chilling out), we parted ways & each continued our trip with different groups of ppl we'd met on the road. In hindsight, I wouldn't hesitate a second going to SEA solo - you just gotta remember that there are tons of other travellers in your same boat.

Take care!

#3 francesstella has been a member since 16/2/2009. Location: Italy. Posts: 95
 Send francesstella a private message 

Posted by johnroger on 25/3/2010 at 16:33

I will be getting into Vietnam in early June and plan to try and see Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Cambodia before I head home around the end of August. Nothing really set in stone, just trying to have the most enjoyable summer I can.

I'm a 23 y/o male graduate student in Hawaii. Looking to get a nice mix of the typical tourist traps and tours, get off the beaten path a little, and definitely party quite a bit.

I'm probably in a similar situation... everyone telling me now to worry because it will be a breeze meeting people, but it sure would be nice to have some people to meet up with.

Take care.

#4 johnroger has been a member since 25/3/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by Jbarry on 6/4/2010 at 03:37

I'm Jason and I'm leaving Chicago tomorrow morning (April 6th) to fly into Bangkok. I'm 34 and was planning on backpacking through Thailand and a bit of Cambodia for the next couple weeks. I was thinking of taking a train to Ankor Wat and then coming back to Thailand to go to Ko Samuei and Ko Phi Ngan as well Chaing Mai. If your interested in travelling a bit together, it's always more fun to share the adventure. I will check the message board whenever I can and maybe we can meet up. I'm ariving in Bangkok the night of the 7th.

#5 Jbarry has been a member since 11/3/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by aishamc on 16/4/2010 at 17:42

I am an 18 year-old American female and I'm also looking for a travel companion. I am living in Thailand and will be traveling to Cambodia around the 30th of April to renew my visa. I was planning on taking a two day stop in Angkor and possibly Phnom Penh. I thought about going down to Lazy Beach (here is the link: I speak Thai fluently, if that makes you any more inclined to travel with me.

#6 aishamc has been a member since 16/4/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by jthomps on 17/4/2010 at 11:34

Hey there,

A Canadian named Jordan here traveling SEA for about 2 months starting in April. Likely going to do Vancouver->Hong Kong->BKK->North Thailand->Laos->Cambodia->BKK->South Thailand->BKK->Shanghai.

May be meeting up with a few fellow Canadians from back home enroute, you're free to join us if you'd like.

#7 jthomps has been a member since 14/4/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by nishantk on 28/10/2010 at 20:15

it is always saner to go on travel on one's own...finding buddies on net isn't a bad proposition, however there are difficulties some times...

Be careful especially considering the prevailing scenario...

#8 nishantk has been a member since 26/10/2010. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.