Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Travel deals forum

Is an ISIC or student travel card worth it?

This form has been closed and no further posts are being accepted.

Posted by Drapes1 on 17/1/2010 at 00:08

I'm just wondering if any of these cards are worthwhile in SE Asia? I know its a bit off topic here but I'm also going to Australia and New Zealand after SE Asia. Also, if they are worthwhile can they be bought for cheaper in SE Asia?

#1 Drapes1 has been a member since 13/1/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by Indoluso on 17/1/2010 at 02:21

Good question, also have it in my mind as the card promises the best deals but, as it happened to me in my last trip, people don't know it and won't give you any discount. The 9 euros I paid were absolutely lost money... Actually when I did it the person didn't even ask for a document proving that I was a student, which I think speaks for itself. Another question is how many places will actually give discounts only for students? Usually a place that will give discounts will have it for young people, under 20's and won't restrict as only for students.

But I'm too looking forward for the confirmation of someone experienced in SE Asia's case.

#2 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by rledez1990 on 1/5/2011 at 20:22

When I was in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore last year there wasnt any student discount or student pricing anywhere- it's so cheap anyway it wouldn't really make sense for them to offer it, i think it's more of a western thing! But we went to Australia afterwards and wished we'd brought a student card with us because a lot of hostels, tourist sights/days out etc have much cheaper prices aimed at students and we could have saved a fortune! I'd say, just get one of the cards and even if you don't get any use out of it in Asia you'll definitely use it in Oz!

#3 rledez1990 has been a member since 12/3/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 106
 Send rledez1990 a private message   Twitter 

Forum closed

This forum has been closed and no further posts are allowed.