Photo: Who needs a guide?

Travelfish Guides forum

E-fish vs guides

Posted by celianz on 30/1/2008 at 14:39

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey there,
Have bought some of the guides and also used the e-fish, but was a little disappointed that some of the guides are not as up to date as the e-fish (thinking P Penh in terms of accommodation etc, the reviews and stuff). As they are all electronic, couldn't the guides be updated similarly to the e-fish or use some of the newer user reviews for the accommodation?
Also, found the maps a bit harder with the use of same numbers but different symbols (eg: guesthouse square #3, food triangle #3 etc) Maybe just run from 1 - ??? or use colours also?
Just suggestions, Cheers!!! :)

#1 celianz has been a member since 15/12/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 31/1/2008 at 11:04 admin

Thanks for the feedback celianz - much appreciated.

The e-Fish are generated automatically at the moment that you generate them, that's why they're more up-to-date. The Travelfish Guides are built with a good deal more hands on effort (both in editorial and layout) as they combine information from more strands of the site, include the maps, feature stories etc and it's not possible to generate them automatically in the same manner.

Take your point on the maps -- I hadn't thought about using colour to make them clearer.

Thanks again!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by liquefiedstars on 10/5/2008 at 11:20

Without starting a new thread, can I just say your e-Fish guides (the whole of travelfish for that matter) are amazing. It's all well & good to say that these days travellers don't have to rely on guidebooks as there are tons of info available on the internet. But there IS such a thing as information overload and to be able to pull all the various strands together in the form of an e-Fish is just fantastic! Not to mention they're extremely comprehensive so you hardly need anything else to supplement an e-Fish.

Can I just make one teeny tiny suggestion that maybe you can put headings in bold? Each e-Fish is loaded with good stuff so bold headings would really make for easy reference when you're flipping through lots of pages. For example, I just read through my e-Fish on Siam Reap, detailing all the different temples of Angkor. After a few pages all the names & paragraphs were starting to blend into one another.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier to have come across so much good material (freely available)! You can trust that I'll be raving about travelfish to anybody who will listen once I'm on the road!

#3 liquefiedstars has been a member since 25/4/2008. Posts: 15

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/5/2008 at 06:11 admin

Hi liquefiedstars,

Thanks for the feedback and glad you like the site -- please feel free to rave about it to all and sundry!

I take your point re the e-Fish, the food section in particular can get a bit ridiculous. We'd like to rework how they look and hopefully will be able to do so soonish...

Thanks again

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.