Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

International Phones

Posted by gordzilla on 12/6/2010 at 00:25

Hi All,
I'm planning an extensive trip (6-8 months maybe longer) starting in India and making my way over to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc. and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with international cell phone plans or any recommendations.
Thanks.

#1 gordzilla has been a member since 12/6/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by Indoluso on 12/6/2010 at 00:40

Hi,

I have no experience in that matter but guides recommend buying a sim card locally. I haven't read anything about costs though...

Hope it helps!

#2 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by SBE on 12/6/2010 at 03:40

You need to have an unlocked phone to use local simcards. If your phone isn't unlocked then you can get that done very cheaply in Bangkok. MBK shopping mall at the BTS (skytrain) stop National Stadium has zillions of phone stalls where you can get it done.

Sim cards are very cheap in Thailand... 200-300B? ...can't remember exactly how much I paid for my last one sorry. Anyway, it wasn't more than 300B and included free calls and text messages as well. You can get sim cards everywhere, any 7/11 will have them. DTAC and 1-2call(AIS) are the most common providers in Thailand. The latter has the better coverage (works in places like the Surin islands) but both are OK.

Then all you have to do is to buy top up cards whenever your credit runs out, also very cheap. Length of validity varies according to the price of the top up. I think the 100B top up is valid one week, 300B one month. Outside Bangkok you sometimes have to pay a little bit more than the face value of the card (shop takes a small commission). Shops also do top ups by phone rather than giving you a scratch card sometimes.

Once your phone is unlocked you can buy a new simcard in all the other countries you go to as well.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by rachelle23 on 28/6/2010 at 10:53

Any GSM-enabled phone where you can buy a local SIM card is a good option for international travel.

#4 rachelle23 has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 20
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.