Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Take tent or not?

Posted by Ignas on 18/1/2011 at 23:18

Yep, soon heading to SE Asia, and I am on low budget, I was just wondering if it would be good idea to take a tent with me. Is there many guesthouses who offers like a garden or place to camp for a night cheap? Idea is not to camp all over SE Asia but to save up some money by not living in guesthouses rooms... Is it worth to take a tent?

Thanks.

#1 Ignas has been a member since 24/9/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by MADMAC on 19/1/2011 at 00:14

Where a simple yes or no will do, a real man will give you a simple yes or no.

No.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 19/1/2011 at 04:47

I agree that you won't need a tent. Rooms tend to be quite affordable, and those few places that do offer tent space typically offer tents to rent for not much money. Carrying a tent around for the rare times you'd need or use it seems like more work than it is worth.

Or, in other words, no. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by wanderingcat on 19/1/2011 at 08:11

Is there many guesthouses who offers like a garden or place to camp for a night cheap?

No.
(Except for a few relatively remote places in upper north Thailand, & in some Thai national parks - but you'll have to pay the inflated entrance fee for foreigners on top of a fee for a place to pitch your tent, which can negate any savings.)

#4 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by goonistik on 19/1/2011 at 09:20

Take a tent only if you are going mountaineering. It doesn't sound like that is your plan so I would have to agree with the others that it is not worth the trouble.

#5 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Ignas on 19/1/2011 at 14:10

Thanks guys, after reading answers I don't have any doubts anymore.

#6 Ignas has been a member since 24/9/2010. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.