Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Using Kindle 3G in Asia

Posted by busylizzy on 18/6/2011 at 06:15

Here's a question for Kindle users who have used the 3G version in Asia. I am tossing up between the WiFi only and the WiFi/3G versions. By the time I comvert the price from USD to NZD, there's a fair bit of difference in the price.

In terms of downloading books, I would be happy with WiFi only capability - I just need to be organised to get download books ahead of time.

The only reason that I am really considering the 3G is for travelling - it has the potential to provide internet access which is useful for quick email checks, browsing TF and maybe using Google Maps to find places. In other words, this could be considered a potential replacement for my netbook - at least on shorter trips.

So my question is - how well does Kindle 3G work in Asia? (Or anywhere outside the US, for that matter). How useful is the internet browsing capability really?

#1 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by goonistik on 18/6/2011 at 10:16

The potential issue is that web browsing is "experimental" and the feature might be disabled in the future.

It seems to me an iPad makes better sense for you.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.