Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Having internet access on your phone when travelling

Posted by thegreyblur on 6/7/2012 at 03:12

I have an unlocked HTC Desire, and in Malaysia I purchased a SIM for it, with 3G internet access.

Well, the internet stopped working the next day, and when I went to get it fixed I was told that the phone is not compatible with their network because I got it in a different country. So I have to get a different phone (the phone calls work fine)

Does this mean that I have to buy a new phone in each country?

So if spend a couple hundred dollars buying a new phone here in Malaysia, it won't work when I get to Thailand and buy a new SIM, and I'll have to spend another couple hundred? This is ridiculous, I thought the system worked better than this.

#1 thegreyblur has been a member since 6/7/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 6/7/2012 at 09:28 TF writer

No, that's not correct. First, if your phone is unlocked it's strange that it's not picking up the network. Try a new SIM before you do anything as I'm guessing the problem is with the SIM. Sometimes my phone stops picking up the 3G network in Thailand and I just turn it off and on again, which usually works. But once it stopped working altogether because the SIM was screwed up so I had to buy a new SIM.

If it still doesn't work and you buy a new phone, it should work with any SIM anywhere. You definitely don't need a different phone for every country. As long as it's unlocked, a phone is a phone.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by goonistik on 6/7/2012 at 10:05

Is your phone from North America? AFAIK, the HTC desire is a quad-band phone so you can use voice and SMS worldwide. The problem might be that the North American version of the HTC desire uses different frequencies for 3G access. Worldwide the standard is 900 and 2100 MHz (HSDPA 900/2100) but North American 3G networks use 850 and 1900 MHz (HSDPA 850/1900).

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 6/7/2012 at 17:03

As dluek suggests, restart your phone and try again. Next, borrow someone's phone and test your Sim card in their phone, and their Simcard in your phone. That'll give you some idea of where the problem lies.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Saphir on 25/11/2012 at 21:45

Gosh, I don't have a mobile phone. I wonder how I survive.

#5 Saphir has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 74
 Where has Saphir been? 

Posted by Duxnuts on 3/7/2013 at 04:59

I have an unlocked HTC Sensation and have used it in a number of Countries without issue just with a 3g prepaid sim.

#6 Duxnuts has been a member since 1/7/2013. Posts: 10

Posted by RachelQueen on 10/2/2015 at 22:55

One thing that is very important to me when traveling is having a internet access so I could find some data or information when needed. Especially when I am lost or need to find a place or store.

#7 RachelQueen has been a member since 2/2/2015. Location: Italy. Posts: 7
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.