Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Osprey Farpoint 55 advice

Posted by eoincasey1 on 10/11/2012 at 14:39

Hi

Looking at getting the Osprey Farpoint 55 for upcoming backpacking trip around SE Asia (10 weeks) and onwards to Australia and NZ.

It seems to have all the features that I'm looking for, but wondering if many out there have used it before and your practical experience of it?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

#1 eoincasey1 has been a member since 7/9/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by goonistik on 10/11/2012 at 20:29

That is a fairly large pack and the airlines might ask you to check it. If travelling light is possible for you, consider the smaller, carry-on sized Farpoint 40. The Waypoint 46 is bit larger but AFAIK is only available in North America.

If you are in NA, take a look at the MEC Wayfarer or MEC supercontinent series.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by eoincasey1 on 11/11/2012 at 08:15

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I think I will need at least the 55l, and we already have checked baggage included in our initial flights so that is not so much an issue for the time being.

Interested if anyone has had any issues using the bag itself, comfort wise and reliability wise?

Thanks again

#3 eoincasey1 has been a member since 7/9/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by busylizzy on 11/11/2012 at 13:16

Have you googled it? On the first page of results was a link to this blog:
http://www.answeringoliver.com/2012/01/my-rtw-backpack-round-two-osprey.html

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by eoincasey1 on 11/11/2012 at 16:24

Thanks Lizzy, that article was actually the reason I posted here! The authors view is great but the last comment just made me think to see if there were any other differing experiences.

Thanks

#5 eoincasey1 has been a member since 7/9/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by eoincasey1 on 11/11/2012 at 16:25

Thanks Lizzy, that article was actually the reason I posted here! The authors view is great but the last comment just made me think to see if there were any other differing experiences.

Thanks

#6 eoincasey1 has been a member since 7/9/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by goonistik on 11/11/2012 at 23:43

In general, the Osprey travel packs are well-regarded. There are reviews by actual useres here.

http://www.rei.com/product/803310/osprey-farpoint-55-travel-pack

There is a less enthusiastic review here:
http://thiskentuckygirl.com/day-57-the-backpack-dilemma-osprey-farpoint-55-youre-bringing-me-down/

Some of her negative comments strike me as unwarranted. Such as the non-inclusion of compression bags and the lack of pockets big enough for wet shoes. Some her other complaints (lack of rain cover, difficult to zip daypack to mainpack when both are full) are more relevant.

It seems to me most of dissatisfaction stems from buying the wrong backpack. From the sound of things, the reviewer needed a photo/travel backpack like the FStop Tilopa. So please bear that in mind when you read her comments.

#7 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by FishyGigi on 12/11/2012 at 04:43

I brought this for my ex partner as part of his Xmas present last year. We then went travelling around the Med and he made full use of it. The bag itself was practical and due to the large size, did indeed need checking at the airports/ferry ports for security also. As far as I know he loved it and found it useful, I havent seen him in 4 months thoough so I cant give you the latest [img]smileys/tongue.gif[/img]

#8 FishyGigi has been a member since 12/11/2012. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.