Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Cell phones and sim cards

Posted by mattocmd on 2/6/2013 at 20:12

Hello everyone!

I travel to SE Asia fairly often and in two weeks I'm heading back for a trip to Myanmar. I'd like to have a mobile phone this time around so that I can call guesthouses to book rooms, keep in touch with other travelers, etc...

In the USA we use a different mobile phone system, so my current phone won't work in Myanmar. I read somewhere that I need an unlocked GSM mobile phone and can just buy sim card there to use for it. Do I have that right? If so, is it cheaper to buy an unlocked phone there?

#1 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by goonistik on 2/6/2013 at 22:28

That is correct. You need to buy an unlocked GSM phone. It will work in most countries of Asia, Japan and Korea being the only exceptions I am aware of. If the phone is unlocked, you can just change SIMS to use the local network.

You don't mention where you plan to buy the phone but I figure that in the more open countries like Thailand, SG, Ph and Malaysia you can get cheap cellphones.

A basic China brand cellphone for sending text messages and calling can be as low as $20. A basic Nokia cellphone might be about $25. Many of these phones are sold unlocked but it is possible that a telco will sell a locked version of the phone. So before you buy, make sure the phone is unlocked.
I've come across stories about the weird situation in Myanmar where you can buy a SIM but you can't reload it.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.