Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Which Travel Bag

Posted by kanda on 6/12/2013 at 22:59

I am going solo to Southeast Asia for 1.5 months in January and I am trying to figure out what bag I should take.

I currently have this '65L' bag;

http://www.luggagesuperstore.co.uk/caribee-loco-65-sports-bag/p1029

however, I haven't used it / travelled with it before, or at all without conventional standing wheeled luggage. It seems a little small, but I'm currently not in a position where I can fill it up and test it, unfortunately.

I was considering buying this 90L Kathmandu bag;

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packs-and-bags/bags/tanker-cargo-v2-90l-blue-charcoal.html?___SID=U

I'm not sure if I would prefer some kind of backpack or not. Please advise.

Does anyone have insight or reccomendations for me? Is there a better value option somewhere? Kathmandu isn't usually great value, even on sale.

Thanks in advance.

#1 kanda has been a member since 5/12/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by busylizzy on 6/12/2013 at 23:26

Keep to the 65 litre bag. Do not ge the 90l - you probably won't be able to carry once it's all packed. Or at least, you won't WANT to carry it in the heat, etc.

65 litres is more than enough, and you're only away for 6 weeks. Having the shoulder strap on the bag (as per the pic) will be useful. Just check that it will be strong enough to carry 15kgs or so (the max you will want to be hauling around. 12kg is better if you can do it).

I have a 65l Kathmandu pack which I considered downgrading to a smaller size. However, I decided to keep it - just because it holds 65l doesn't mean that I need to fill it. And then I have space to put in extras that I buy along the way. I had a shoulder strap sewn onto mine (reinforced) and I now have the perfect pack as far as I'm concerned. I tend to use that shoulder strap now rather than the backpack straps - but it's good to know that the backpack straps are there is I ended up having to walk longer distances.

The zip on day packs are generally a waste of time. I didn't like the one that came with my pack so sold it off and bought another one. Because that holds my valuables I would never want it the big pack anyhow.

If I were you, I'd just use the 65l duffle bag that you've got. Maybe invest in a few SMALL packing cubes to help keep your stuff organised. Well worth it to me (a neat freak when it comes to travelling).

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 1/1/2014 at 21:07

Dont want a big bag. You would have to pay extra luggage fees at airport if you fill it up. Easy to wash clothes once a week or take old ones and buy new.

Ive seen female bps walk around with big backpacks and they look so uncomfortable with backs hunched over.

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.