Text page

Gear and equipment

Gear and equipment forum

Where to leave your backpack...

Posted by WonderingAbout on 25/9/2014 at 06:44

This might be a bit of a silly question but...

If you're going on an overnight excursion, maybe staying with the locals in the jungle in Northern Thailand, and the itinerary checklist says to bring a daypack with essentials etc. What do you do with your main backpack? I'm assuming you just take everything with you, but are there lockups in main towns to store your belongings? Logic tells me to keep everything with me at all times.

This will be my first time backbacking anywhere so I'm relatively clueless at the moment!
I'm going solo and will be away for 6 months, mostly in SE Asia :)

#1 WonderingAbout has been a member since 26/7/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 25/9/2014 at 11:28

Most guesthouses will have some kind of left luggage storage area, particularly if you are staying with them before or after the trek or booking the trek with them. Sometimes the travel agents booking the treks will have a left luggage area too. You can leave your main pack with them.

There is likely a reason they itinerary asks you to bring only your daypack with essentials. They might not have room in their vehicle for a big pack, or the terrain is such that a big pack will really slow you down, or something like that.

Over a long trip like you've got planned, you'll likely wind up leaving your main pack in storage more than a few times, or checking the bag for a flight or long bus trip. The trick is to keep your valuables with you, like money, smart phone, passport, etc., and only leave things that are easy to replace in your main pack, like dirty clothes and such. In all my travels in southeast Asia, I've only had something lifted from my checked pack one time, and that was on a bus when I forgot to grab some cash I had left in my big pack before we got on the bus.

Bus ride, domestic flight, ferry boat, beach, or just out and about during the day, you can't have all your stuff with you at all times. So you learn to keep what matters most with you and don't worry about the rest. For a long trip, you'll likely wind up replacing most of what you bring with things you buy locally anyway. Plus, best to keep your valuables to a minimum anyway and definitely don't flash fancy phones or cameras or such for others to see.

I hope that helps. Your trip sounds great. Have fun. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Posted by WonderingAbout on 25/9/2014 at 11:54

That's great, thanks very much!

#3 WonderingAbout has been a member since 26/7/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 4

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.