Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

THAILAND QUERIES

Posted by swiggle on 3/5/2016 at 16:12

Just a few things I'd like to know before we set of on our adventure!

1. Is it useful for us to take photocopies of our passports? If so, in what situations would we be likely to use them?

2. Do we need to plastic wrap our bags? Can we just put the rain covers over them?

3. Am I allowed to take a medium flip knife in my big rucksack which will be put in the hold? Also, aerosols? Thanks!!

#1 swiggle has been a member since 8/1/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/5/2016 at 17:19 admin

1) Yes. Legally you are supposed to have your passport with you at all times when in Thailand. As most prefer not to do this, carrying a photocopy is generally considered to be sufficient. Also handy for motorbike hire (sometimes)

2) Do you mean plastic wrap at the airport? I wouldn't bother with that.

3) As long as it is checked I don't think this is a big deal. Don't know about aerosols - check with your airline.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,960
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 3/5/2016 at 21:08

Just to add to somtam's reply, a photocopy of your passport is also very handy to have if your passport is lost or stolen (knock on wood), so make sure you keep a copy separate from where you keep your passport.

I also frequently leave a photocopy with a friend or relative back home as a safety back up. Have a nice trip.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,766
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by DLuek on 4/5/2016 at 06:09 TF writer

Yup also a good idea to upload (or email yourself) a color photo or scan of your passport so that, if you lose it, you can retrieve a copy anywhere there's internet.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,311
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by swiggle on 4/5/2016 at 11:55

thanks everyone! I'll make sure I do these things. With regards to my knife, when you say checked, what you do mean? I won't bother taking an aerosol.

#5 swiggle has been a member since 8/1/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 4/5/2016 at 12:03

Checked means the checked luggage you leave with the airline at the check-in counter. It does not go with you through the security screening. It does not go in your carry-on luggage that stays with you in the cabin of the airplane.
Do not have the knife on your person. But, as somtam said, in your checked luggage should be fine. Ta.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,766
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.