Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Backpack

Posted by Kadadd on 12/8/2016 at 17:44

hey guys any advice on where to buy a good backpack? I'm traveling for a year or more and was thinking of around 75 litres. I also really want a zip around one ????

#1 Kadadd has been a member since 12/8/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by shaarks on 12/8/2016 at 18:20

osprey farpoint 70, it's the best pack I've used, love it.

#2 shaarks has been a member since 11/10/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 1
 Send shaarks a private message   Where has shaarks been? 

Posted by SBE on 13/8/2016 at 09:33

In my opinion, after spending about 6 months a year wandering around SE Asia for the last 15 years or so, you don't need a 75L backpack. If a backpack is big enough for a month's travel, it's big enough for a whole year too, and heavy bulky backpacks are a real pain to lug around in hot humid climates. They're also very inconvenient and cumbersome to carry on public transport (minibuses, crammed urban buses and metros, motorbike taxis etc).

Travelling light really does make things easier and I get quite jealous when I meet people who've been travelling for months with a 35L backpack. Unfortunately I need something that's big enough to carry my fins because I do a lot of snorkeling and rental snorkeling gear is often either unavailable or rubbish. It's a personal choice, depends what your interests are, but try and take as little stuff with you as you possibly can. What were you planning to put in this 75L rucksack? Clothes can be washed and dried very quickly so you don't need many and they are cheap to replace. Toiletries weigh a ton and can be bought everywhere. You don't need half a dozen pairs of shoes either... a pair of teva style sandals and a pair of flipflops is probably all you'll need unless you're planning on doing some serious trekking.

Anyway, last year I needed to replace my old backpack too and I was amazed at how few backpacks nowadays actually meet my travel requirements.

-I wanted my backpack to be as light and streamlined as possible ... no wheels, no unnecessary external pockets that aren't lockable and can't be accessed when you're carrying the pack and no silly dangling straps for carrying ice picks etc.

-It had to be lockable with a sturdy zip that cannot be opened with a ballpoint pen. (If you never understood how stuff gets nicked out of locked bags on overnight Khao San Road buses then watch this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvmAktLvFg

-It had to be waterproof and dust proof, capable of keeping my stuff reasonably dry and clean after being transported on a bus roof or in the bottom of a small open boat for 12 hours.

I ended up buying a 60L Patagonia Black Hole duffel and it meets my requirements pretty well with the added advantage that it costs about half the price of a decent classic backpack. Big enough for my fins, extremely tough waterproof fabric (no need for a rain cover), good sturdy lockable zip. Just one external zipped pocket and a few unobtrusive hoops to tie stuff to on the outside. Big internal compartment which maximizes the usable internal space. There are no compartments inside but I prefer it that way... I use ultra lightweight drybags and mesh bags to organize my stuff according to my needs. The U shaped top opening means you don't have to empty everything out to find something at the bottom of the bag. The padded carrying straps are removable and surprisingly comfortable. There's no frame so it might not be suitable a multi-day mountain trek but I wouldn't fancy carrying a 75L backpack on a multi-day mountain trek either!

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,049
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by gecktrek on 13/8/2016 at 17:24

hey, i'm another osprey user, i use a 35l (i'd prefer 40l) wheeled travel bag and a 25l day-pack... something i can easily strap to the back of a motorbike!

#4 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 136
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by Deeclic on 23/3/2017 at 22:56

Another Osprey! Mine is 65 L. It's the Atmos model with zero gravity system. I could downsize for 50 L but still like it... I hear that the Aether is nice as well.

#5 Deeclic has been a member since 6/1/2017. Posts: 2
 Twitter 

Posted by Deeclic on 23/3/2017 at 22:56

Another Osprey! Mine is 65 L. It's the Atmos model with zero gravity system. I could downsize for 50 L but still like it... I hear that the Aether is nice as well.

#6 Deeclic has been a member since 6/1/2017. Posts: 2
 Twitter 

Posted by flijten on 27/3/2017 at 04:15

I agree with the earlier remark that you could do with a smaller size backpack. I started out using a 75l as well but over the years I put less and less in it. Basically, if you can fit clothes for about two weeks you're good. Actually a week will do fine too :) There are no places without washing options for two weeks anywhere in the world.

It may sound like a drag having to wash more often, but it is so convenient to have a smaller pack. Currently I use a 50 liter backpack that I still don't fill up to max. capacity.

It may be that this packing light is a thing you need to experience for a bit, gaining confidence that two or three shorts is really all you need so I will not say you should buy a smaller backpack, but you definitively don't need a big one.

The only reason I can think off for having a bigger one is if you plan on visiting really cold regions too. But even the two extra long pants and a sweater I would probably fit into my 50l pack.

#7 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 54

Posted by myjimmy on 28/6/2017 at 20:59

If you are a backpacker, I would recommend you to look up the hiking item brand. because since they have good items on climbing, carrying, it's high quality and practical. traveling needs kinda similar qualification to hiking.

#8 myjimmy has been a member since 12/6/2017. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.