Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Walking boots or no walking boots?

Posted by chicho83 on 6/1/2009 at 06:44

Im travelling through thailand , upto laos, down through cambodia and then vitenam with my wife, we've already made the decision to leave the sleeping bags at home, but we are wondering about walking boots. we have some decent waterproof breathable ones, but can be a pain carrying them round. Any suggestions?

#1 chicho83 has been a member since 30/12/2008. Posts: 23

Posted by DLuek on 6/1/2009 at 09:45 TF writer

I say the lighter the better. In the past, I've gone with one good pair of sneakers and one pair of flip flops. Personally, I wouldn't lug my hiking boots along unless I was going to Nepal or something (just make sure to have really good sneakers for walking).

Of course, if you're doing week-long jungle treks during the rainy months, bring the boots!

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,177
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by basho on 27/1/2009 at 16:07

Posted from within Vietnam.

On my 3 month SEA trip (similar to yours), I used a small pair of half walking boots from Rohan (almost trainers I guess - called "Bhutan"). They are waterproof and can be packed in my bag (65l Arc'terx).

Snakes and bugs will be put off by walking boots, but do partner them with some walking sandals ( for beaches and cities etc.

#3 basho has been a member since 10/5/2008. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 24

Posted by samuel99 on 13/2/2009 at 10:42

I'd say no need for boots. I've always got by with Tevas (a brand of hardy sandals). Aside from them being very light to carry, they're also cool on the feet -- no stinky socks.

#4 samuel99 has been a member since 13/2/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by Intrepid82 on 23/4/2009 at 09:17

I'm heading to Cambodia and Laos and am wondering if it is worth waiting until I am there to buy some decenet walking sandals (assuming they are probably cheaper) or if I should fork out for some good ones before I leave......

#5 Intrepid82 has been a member since 21/4/2009. Posts: 33

Posted by chrispyrolls on 23/4/2009 at 19:18

i agree with samuel99 - a good pair of tevas or similar walking sandals will do... i left my boots at home as was glad of it... unless you plan to do some hard trekking that is

buy them before you go, as i never saw any on my travels recently in Laos... they would probably be fake if you did see them anyway!

#6 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Intrepid82 on 24/4/2009 at 06:15

Will do - thankyou!

#7 Intrepid82 has been a member since 21/4/2009. Posts: 33

Posted by backpackingasia on 30/4/2009 at 08:50

The mere fact that you will spend the day traveling,you should use a soft pair of sandals...but if for "hard trekking scene", it should be a hard sandals. Why sandals? because for me it "refreshes the feet". Imagine the tremendous walking, hiking and climbing...your feet deserve to breathe too. :)

#8 backpackingasia has been a member since 30/4/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by misterwoods on 17/6/2009 at 22:11

What would any of you recommend for 3/4 days trekking in thailand in July???

And with regard to hiking boots, what are my options for purchasing in Bangkok / Chiang Mai?! How do they compare for price to the uk / Ireland?

#9 misterwoods has been a member since 30/4/2009. Posts: 26

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.