Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Backpack and other travel gear: buy it when I land?

Posted by dnoriega on 10/5/2009 at 19:13

I've decided to backpack through SEAsia for 3 months but I've never backpacked and thus do not have one.

I'm currently in South Korea. I went backpack shopping but it proved difficult to find anything for a guy with a 52 cm torso length.

I did find ONE backpack, a North Face Primero 60, but I couldn't find a good duffle bag or a rain cover. I got the pack since it felt OK, but being unable to compare it to any other packs to compare it too, and being a newbie to begin with, I'm uncertain it was worth the money.

My question is, should I take back the pack, land in Beijing (where I'm starting) with a simple bag with all my things and find an outdoor store there and get everything? I'm afraid I'll be in the same position as in South Korea: a giant in a land of merchandise for smaller folk.

Thoughts?

#1 dnoriega has been a member since 10/5/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by dnoriega on 10/5/2009 at 19:16

Oh, and I have read all the articles on backpacks on travelfish. I know it warns against buying a pack in Asia, but I feel as long as I can find a nice bag to last me 3 months, I'll be ok.

#2 dnoriega has been a member since 10/5/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by pamjane on 20/9/2009 at 04:38

If, by any chance, you're still in Korea... check out the back alleys of Jongno 5-Ga in Seoul (near Dongdaemun). There are more than a dozen small hiking shops, with quite a few gear brand names to choose from (Karrimor, Arc'Teryx, Northface, Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, etc).

Most of the stuff is geared toward hikers, but if you dedicate half a day to looking, you should be able to find about all you need. All of the shops are closed on Sunday.

#3 pamjane has been a member since 5/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by mattocmd on 20/9/2009 at 11:06

dnoriega - where are you in Korea? I am also here.

I would strongly suggest that you buy one in Korea. Koreans love their gear and you can find some good quality packs here. If you are in a large city there will definately be some travel stores for you to shop around in.

I have made the mistake of buying backpacks in Thailand and Malaysia. Just something to carry around the extra stuff that I managed to collect while there. Unless you buy a name-brand one in a legitimate shopping center, they are always garbage, trust me. Usually the zippers go first and it's an awful situation.

I bought a high quality LL Bean bag three years ago and has been a great investment.

I know it's hard in Korea but some Koreans are big. Do you have some Korean friends that can help you shop on the internet? GMarket is a good place to look.

Try this link

#4 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.