Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

What is the most versatile mobile phone to use in Asia?

Posted by gregoreye on 3/6/2009 at 01:12

This fall and winter I'll be travelling through southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, France) then to India, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong. What mobile phone is best to use for all of these regions? I like the IPhone's features, but all of the ones sold in Canada are locked and I want a phone that allows a change of sim cards. Is it best to wait until I arrive in Europe to purchase a phone? Is EBay a good resource for buying unlocked smart phones which are quad-band? All suggestions/advice appreciated.

#1 gregoreye has been a member since 3/6/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by BruceMoon on 28/6/2009 at 20:01

Generally, all SE Asian countries use the GSM network (though 3G is being slowly introduced).

Clearly, any phone that is unlocked will accept any sim card.

Call costs in SE Asia are - by international standards - very cheap.

Personally, if I didn't have an unlocked GSM network phone, I'd acquire any phone that uses the GSM network: it doesn't have to be new as long as it's smallish and reliable.

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by BruceMoon on 28/6/2009 at 20:04

ps. I should have said, any GSM phone that is unlocked...

In Australia (where I'm at) we can buy phones that use both GSM and 3G. That way, we can choose which network at pleasure. Maybe that's the sort of phone you might explore.

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by dezztroyer on 24/10/2009 at 15:03

Buy one over there.
At the moment in HCMC, you can get a phone with a sim card for 55,000 dong. $3usd. includes 145,000 dong worth of credit. Uses the Mobiphone network.

#4 dezztroyer has been a member since 29/7/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 22

Posted by shalimar on 5/12/2009 at 14:17

i'm a business traveller and travel a lot , so i have an unlocked verion of blackberry phone and i unlocked it through unlock codes provided by

#5 shalimar has been a member since 5/12/2009. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.