Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

A question of shoes

Posted by Jen2412 on 7/7/2009 at 01:40

When travelling in Thailand if you are not actually doing jungle trekking, do you need footwear other than flip flops? I'll be going to some temples and si Sachanalai Historical park. I'm fairly strapped for cash so I don't want to have to buy trekking sandals if I don't have to. If flip flops won't do then I would assume some form of trainers would??
xx

#1 Jen2412 has been a member since 5/7/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 7/7/2009 at 03:01

Just wear a pair of comfortable shoes from home. You don't need special shoes to come to Asia. If you find flip flops comfortable then fine - although that is on the low end of the footwear department so I assume fashion is not an issue for you.

As I posted elsewhere, if you are planning on going anywhere nice, then dress the part (this includes temples - but shoes are removed, so not an issue). But if you are just bumming around, eating in road side stands and so forth, then just wear whatever you happen to have that's comfortable.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by BruceMoon on 8/7/2009 at 20:04

Jen

A longish discussion on this at:

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelgear/6751_tevas-or-just-cheap-no-name-sandals-

As you'll see there, I take a good quality pair of leather sandals. They fit all occasions.

Trainers make you look like a newbie, and a target for every scammer/tout around. Sometimes, an investment in clothes (even if you buy cheaply in SE Asia) is a good investment.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by dedwood on 16/9/2009 at 14:43

I'll post here rather than starting a new thread.

I will be doing the Gibbon Experience (the waterfall one) and probably a short 1/2 night trek in Luang Prabang this December. Will a pair of sandals like these Birkenstocks - http://www.birkenstock.com.au/media/04369_large.jpg - be alright for the job? Leeches don't worry me all that much really - could happen with boots anyway.

I really don't want to have a second pair of shoes to lug around for the trip when I would really only be using them for 3/4 nights.

#4 dedwood has been a member since 6/9/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by SBE on 16/9/2009 at 15:14

You'd be better with a pair of good quality robust sandals that are strapped to your feet... Tevas or the like.

The Gibbon experience involves a lot of zip lines so Birkenstocks (or flipflops) would be likely to fall off when you do a quick dash to the toilet.

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 16/9/2009 at 21:03 TF writer

Flip flops are great for the beach or short walks, but I wouldn't go on a long trip with them as my only footwear. There's been a couple times that I've almost lost a flipflop climbing into a train, onto songthaews, and even as a passenger on a motorbike.

I'm not saying that sandals alone are insufficient... sports sandals or something that holds onto your foot a little better are perfect.

I love my Tevas. I've done everything from climbing a volcano to jungle trekking in them.

#6 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.