Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Footwear for Angkor

Posted by curstilace on 2/8/2009 at 00:20

Hello :)

I'm starting my trip through Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos in a few days, and I intend on packing as light as possible. Shoe-wise I was going to just bring flip-flops for daily wear and maybe a pair of strappy heels for nights out.

My concern is Angkor Wat. I gather that flip-flops (and definitely strappy heels) aren't recommended for climbing up the steep steps, especially in the rainy season.

So here are my options:
1) bring my Nike sneakers
2) buy some sandals (though I think they're kinda hideous, and I'm a bit strapped for cash)
3) skip the climbing of Angkor and just see it from the bottom
4) ??

What do you think?

#1 curstilace has been a member since 26/6/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by SBE on 2/8/2009 at 03:29

Take your sneakers. No point in buying sandals just to climb the steps at Angkhor Wat though you could do it barefoot if you've got very tough feet I suppose. Flipflops and strappy heels would indeed be rather dangerous. The steps are very steep and it's a long way down.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by BruceMoon on 2/8/2009 at 07:17

curstilace

I suggest it depends on what you intend to be doing at Angkor, and the weather. The reason I say that is some people clamber all over the ruins, others just wander up and walk around on the pathways.

If the area is wet (as likely), I agree with SBE, if the latter flip-flops will be fine (but not in the wet).

I note the comment re: sandals, but just in case you didn't read the post, try looking here. There, look at my post at #7, and link to the references.

I suggest you consider as you are entering SE Asia during the wet season, and unless you intend to remain in cities ONLY, the terrain and the wetness suggests you might like to think through your current footwear decisions.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by MADMAC on 3/8/2009 at 02:23

Bruce
I thought you would wear sandals even when traveling to the South Pole.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by BruceMoon on 3/8/2009 at 04:30

JohnMac

Yep, I'd wear sandals there too, and socks - it's such a cool look down there....

hahahahaha

Cheers

#5 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.