Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Women's backpacks

Posted by luce_uk on 8/1/2010 at 03:51

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on women's backpacks i've done quite a lot of research on backpacks so far but cannot seem to find anything suitable for my needs. I am looking for a backack around the 55-65L range with a daypack (65L max inc the day pack) but not top loading, i want one that opens right out. I also need one with zippers so it can be locked, not a drawstring, and preferably it needs to be waterproof material (or at least have a rain cover) I also would like it if it was specifically designed for a woman as i am really short so i need something that is going to sit just right. I've looked on Millets, Blacks and Oswald Baileys websites as well as doing individual searches for makes such as The North Face, Osprey, Karimoor, Berghaus but nothing really so far has seemed to fit all those requirements, i didn't think i had a particularly tall order. Anyway, any input would be fantastic! Thanks

#1 luce_uk has been a member since 23/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/1/2010 at 08:29 admin

You mean packs like these?:
http://www.karrimor.com/SS09/travel.htm

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by shadek on 8/1/2010 at 19:42

I was wondering something similar. I didn't think I was being picky, but so far I haven't managed to find the right backpack. I'm traveling only for 1 month and a half, so I thought to take only a 45L + 10, because I know myself and I know if I have more space I will end up filling it up with endless unnecessary shopping!

As per the daypack, I didn't think to carry a 20L, but something much smaller, more like a should bag, with space for the guide, a small notebook, a scarf and the odd snack. Is it too light???

#3 shadek has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 37

Posted by shadek on 8/1/2010 at 19:44

*** shoulder bag **** (is there anyway to edit the posts? it would be helpful!)

#4 shadek has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 37

Posted by luce_uk on 9/1/2010 at 02:08

Hey,

That Karimoor 50-70L one does look good, the others are all far to massive. I am a little confused though, does it come in like 50L and 70L sizes or what i don't get that it doesn't explain it properly. Or is it 50L with 20L daysack in which case ARGH i think 70L is too big!!!

Shadek, have you looked on the websites like Milletts etc, i seem to think i saw some around the 45L size, not sure if that was with or without the daypack though. I will also be taking like a shoulder bag/handbag as well for everyday use but the actual 'daypack' i would use for like tours and excursions and stuff like that.

#5 luce_uk has been a member since 23/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by stevejames00 on 9/1/2010 at 06:00

Millets has one called Amazon 45+15 and its designed for women, my girlfriend bought one last week. It was the last one in the shop and in the sale so not sure how many they have left. I looked on their website and couldnt find it on there either so mabye go visit one and you might be in luck.

#6 stevejames00 has been a member since 29/1/2009. Posts: 53
 Twitter 

Posted by wanderingcat on 9/1/2010 at 09:48

shadek:
Tatonka did have one in the 45L range with a carrying system designed for women's frames, when adjusted properly i felt almost 'no' strain on my shoulders, compared to other brands/models. bought it 6 years ago so not sure if Tatonka still carries that model.

instead of a daypack i've carried a shoulder bag - zip closure + strap long enough to sling across my body instead of hanging from one shoulder (deter snatch thieves). enough space for notebook, camera, maps, bottle of water, foldable umbrella, etc.

#7 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by nips2689 on 8/3/2010 at 21:48

i have got this backpack, i am going for about 5/6months to asia.
does anyone know if this is a good one to have?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-travel-trekker-2-nd-60-p142570

#8 nips2689 has been a member since 21/12/2009. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.