Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Proof of Vaccines at Borders

Posted by Drapes1 on 13/1/2010 at 04:47

Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Bali next month and I've already got all the appropriate vaccines (Hep A, typhoid, dyptheria, tetanus and malaria tabs). Somebody told me that you may need to provide proof of these vaccines at some border crossings. Does anyone know if there's any truth in that at all?

Thanks

#1 Drapes1 has been a member since 13/1/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by cdnexplorer on 13/1/2010 at 06:59

I was never asked for proof of vaccination when crossing the Thai or Malaysian borders, but I can't speak for the other countries. I'll assume you're getting those vaccines anyways, so I would just bring the appropriate documentation to be safe.

#2 cdnexplorer has been a member since 19/8/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by KirstyB on 13/1/2010 at 08:37

To add to that I've never been asked at any of the Lao/Vietnam/Cambodia borders that I've crossed either. I believe it has been falsly used as a scam by official to extort extra money from travellers but it's not required so hold tight. The only exception would be if you have recently been travelling in a country with Yellow Fever (ie some South American or African countries - there's none in Asia) when producing your certificate would be required.

#3 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/1/2010 at 08:47 admin

Never, ever been asked.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Drapes1 on 13/1/2010 at 21:19

Ah that's good to know, thanks for the quick replies guys

#5 Drapes1 has been a member since 13/1/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by busylizzy on 13/1/2010 at 22:23

I recently did the Vietnam -> Cambodia crossing, and wasn't asked for any proof. However, I was handed a form as we left Vietnam asking me health-related questions (have you been coughing, sneezing, etc). I just ticked the boxes and some guy collected the forms without even looking at them.

Haven't been asked to produce anything at airports, either.

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.