Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

non-leather sandals

Posted by shaydan_01 on 8/2/2010 at 09:03

Hey guys,

I am looking for some sandals for 8-12 month trip through SEA later this year.

I am wondering if anybody knows of any brands that make good non-leather sandals and if there are any preferable materials or materials that I should avoid for comfort/climate reasons. They will be for everyday wear and light trekking.

Thanks a lot!

#1 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80
 Send shaydan_01 a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 8/2/2010 at 14:14

The best quality sandals I have seen are all made with leather. If that irritates your though, I'm not sure what I'd recommend. I don't like sandals at all, I always wear shoes.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by shaydan_01 on 9/2/2010 at 05:52

Thanks Madmac, I'll keep shopping around.

#3 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80

Posted by MADMAC on 9/2/2010 at 18:38

Wish I could be more help. There are guys who do know this subject well. Hopefully they can help you more.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Gorey on 9/2/2010 at 20:45

I once wore sandals which were made mostly of leather, killed my feet entirely sweat/moisture mixed with leather is never fun.

Most outdoorsy brands (karimore/merrell etc) make sandels more intended for heavy usage which i'd imagine you'd need and from what i've seen they rarely include leather and if so normally fake or immitation leather.

You could also join the crocs obsession?

I dislike sandals/flipflops/crocs alot and prefere a light shoe/trainer i'd rather damage my shoes that my revealed feet.

#5 Gorey has been a member since 26/3/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 58

Posted by Dylan on 10/2/2010 at 00:11

In addition to my (leather) sandals, I rocked these Keens on my 3-month trip in SE Asia...very breathable and quick-drying. Nice to have toe protection for caving and motorbiking, especially. And not nearly as nerdy looking once they're on your feet.

#6 Dylan has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 25
 Website 

Posted by shaydan_01 on 10/2/2010 at 04:32

Thanks for your feedback guys. I will definately be bring some light trainers for treking, biking etc but also need some sandals just for beach/markets and stuff.

The keens didnt look too bad and I'm not that concerned about looks or being 'fashionable' but I can't stand crocs... not that I judge those in said croc obsession :P

I found a pair of non-leather birkinstocks online so I think I have found my sandals!

Thanks for your input everyone xx

#7 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.