Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

Malaria (again)

Posted by Russian on 2/6/2010 at 09:02

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. However, I was wondering whether we can conduct a poll here.

I am traveling to Laos (Houei Xai - Gibbon Experience) in July - early August by bus from Chiang Mai, and later to Siem Reap(2 weeks total). I cannot make up my mind as to whether I should take any anti-malaria meds.

Could you please take a couple of minutes to briefly answer the following questions (this information might be useful to other travelers who are in limbo as well)?

1. What rural areas did you travel to in SE Asia?

2. How long did you stay?

3. Did you take any anti-malaria meds?
a. If yes, what brand did you get?
b. If yes, did you experience any side-effects?

4. Regardless of your answer to Question 2, did you catch malaria?

Thanks!
Russki

#1 Russian has been a member since 1/6/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by Russian on 2/6/2010 at 09:11

I misspelled ad nauseam. Although, I am sure that there are other mistakes in my post.

Sorry, English is not my native language.
… neither is Latin.

#2 Russian has been a member since 1/6/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/6/2010 at 10:51 admin

I'm not really representative of your avg traveller as I live in the region, but I wouldn't take malaria pills for the spots you're going. I would though practice the normal preventative stuff (mossie net, repellant etc).

This is also covered here:
https://www.travelfish.org/feature/95

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.