Text page

Health and safety

Health and safety forum

In case of emergency..

Posted by roff on 22/3/2011 at 21:20

Travelling to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam an Cambodia in May for 3 months. Just wondering what the contact information/ standard procedure is in case of an emergency in these countries? If anyone can help me out with this it would be great.. ive sone alot of reading on safety ie malaria prevention and dodging tourist scams but couldnt find anything for this.. Thanks.

#1 roff has been a member since 19/10/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by hemiltonfleming on 22/3/2011 at 21:24

I am new to forum and trying to figure out this for general discussion.

#2 hemiltonfleming has been a member since 22/3/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 23/3/2011 at 02:50

I'm not sure that anyone ever bothers with this sort of thing - I certainly never do. Are you meaning who YOU should contact if something happens?

If you are concerned, you could register with your embassy in each of these countries and give them a method to contact you if necessary. That would be useful I guess if there are any civil unrest issues.

If you are worried about medical things, I guess you just need to know how to contact your travel insurance company. (You DO have insurance, right?!) They will then give you advice as to the best place to go to for hospital care, etc.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much!

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,152

Posted by caseyprich on 23/3/2011 at 08:51

Yes - and if you're worried about who you should contact in case of major emergency/problem, just make sure to have the number for your embassy/consulate in that country. You'll just have to go to their websites before you leave - if its a big worry keep the numbers in a post-it in your passport and an extra copy in a notebook.

I don't bother to register with my embassy when I visit - I've lived in China for 3 years and haven't bothered to do it even then.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by MADMAC on 23/3/2011 at 10:21

Me to Casey. Been living here four years in June, and haven't registered with the Embassy. Used it plenty of times...

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Thomas922 on 15/4/2011 at 10:35

I would def get travel insurance and hep shot and maybe typhoid. Carry some doxy with you and enjoy yourself. You will meet many people who do absolutely no preparation. So don't be surprised that people look at you strange if you pill pop a lot of Malaria stuff. Up to you. No you don't need to travel with nets unless you plan on staying in the worst of places or outside and maybe you might bring some multi vitamins if you don't think you will eat right. If something happens bad, you won't be able to call an ambulance anyway, someone else will be looking at you half dead and decide so........just make sur a copy of your passport is always on you and phone numbers that your travel insurance reccommends. Hell most of us don't even do that though we should.

#6 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.