Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

Don't squash this bug!

Posted by SBE on 10/4/2011 at 04:42

It looks innocuous enough, a bit like a big soldier ant. However you'll know it isn't harmless if you slap at it like a mosquito, accidentally crush one in your sleep, or get hit in the face by one while you're driving a motorbike.

http://docfiles.blogspot.com/2007/06/paederousrove-beetle-dermatitis.html

I just thought I'd post a heads up about this thing in case anyone else is blissfully unaware that these insects "contain the most poisonous animal contact toxin in the world".

I don't even remember squashing one of these things but right now I have a patch of what looks like bubonic plague on my inner elbow. It's quite painful too, like a bad burn ...or twelve (very small) cobra bites.

#1 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by swag on 10/4/2011 at 05:24

ouch!! can't say i,ve seen this in se asia thanks for the info those pics look very nasty.here's to a speedy recovery.btw where were you when you crushed this.
swag

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 10/4/2011 at 10:47

Good grief, SBE - you have the worst luck with the creepy crawlies! I hope you don't have to suffer too long.. it looks nasty. Take care!

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 10/4/2011 at 13:12

Yep, I got tagged on the neck by one of these about a year and a half ago... sucked.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by SBE on 10/4/2011 at 16:39

@swag... in Thailand. I've seen quite a few of these insects there, mostly in jungly areas on the islands but the doctor I saw in Bangkok says they have them there too. Symptoms take about 12 hours to appear. They don't bite like mosquitoes or ants so you often don't even notice them.

@busylizzy... actually I think I'm quite lucky as far as creepy crawlies are concerned... I haven't died once (yet).

BTW, I had another cobra visit in my beach hut this year. Was quietly hammocking on Ko Phayam last January when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a reptilian face peeking over the edge of my balcony... at first I thought it was just a skink or a harmless tree snake but as more and more snake body appeared I realised it was in fact a large cobra...it even reared up and did a cute snake dance with its hood out. Really pisses me off that I never have a camera at hand when this kind of thing happens so I called a couple of guys from neighbouring bungalows over. Would have made a great shot as the snake was only a meter away but instead of running for a camera, they ran off screaming for help!! Typical men. ;-)

@MM. Did it leave an indelible scar? Just curious...

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 10/4/2011 at 17:22

No scar - irrtated the crap out of me for a while though.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.