Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

japanese encephalitis vaccine in hong kong

Posted by laughingbuddha on 1/12/2011 at 13:58

I am going on a 13 week adventure through SE asia (HK, Hainan island - thailand - cambodia - vietnam - singapore - bali/indo) and wanted to know if anyone has any experience/comments/suggestions for getting the japanese encephalitis vaccine while in hong kong instead of paying $400 USD for it here in the States. I don't intend to spend months in the jungle, but i might want to get a jungle trek or two while I am out. i would rather be protected and pay for peace of mind, but then again, i'd rather get the vaccine for less $ in Hong Kong (i'm assuming that is the case, but it could be just as expensive as here?) i will get my other vaccines stateside. typhoid, meningitis, influenza, and probably rabies. it will save me a ton of $ if i can get the Jap enceph vaccine in hk on the cheap.

#1 laughingbuddha has been a member since 24/10/2011. Posts: 2
 Send laughingbuddha a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 3/12/2011 at 12:31

I wouldn't bother with the rabies vaccine. It's unlikely that you'll be more than a few hours from any hospital should you come in contact with a potentially rabid animal. Most hospitals in SE Asia will be well-stocked with both vaccine and immunoglobulin.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,507
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by mrbump on 29/12/2011 at 04:40

I just had my Japanese Ence and its not over yet. It has to be given in two or three doeses over a couple/few weeks. I had mine last week and have to go back next week. I guess it depends on how long you are staying in hong kong between doses, its not the cheapest place to spend 3 weeks.
It cost me £148.00 in the Uk for two doeses

#3 mrbump has been a member since 16/12/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by altmtl on 29/12/2011 at 05:02

I wouldn't bother with JE or Rabies. Although I know someone who was just bitten by a monkey in India...

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.