Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

What is the word on Dengue Fever? Prevention? Treatment?

Posted by exacto on 9/1/2014 at 12:11

I've noticed several posts lately where folks like Geer1 mention they caught Dengue Fever. If you don't mind, will you tell us under what circumstances you think you caught it, what the symptoms were, how you manged to diagnosis it, and what treatments are available to at least treat the symptoms if there isn't a cure?

Obviously covering up and using bug spray help prevent, but nothing is 100 percent, and even a blind mozzie gets lucky some time. I guess what I'm asking apart from how to prevent catching it is what to do if someone thinks they caught it.

Thanks and regards.

#1 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/1/2014 at 18:28 admin

Hey exacto,

This post on dengue fever is related to when I had it a coupla years ago, towards the end I cover briefly what the onset was for me.

Generally once you have it it is about pain management and staying hydrated. I ended up in hospital for a couple of days, but that isn't always the case -- it can be kind of mild in some cases and I know people who had it and just laid around at home till it went away.

In my case I had a doc visiting every day or so who took a blood test to monitor levels (of something the name of which I can't remember sorry) and once that dropped below a certain level he sent me to hospital.

If you do catch it, believe me you'll know you've got it. I went from feeling a little off colour to having a 40+ fever and in considerable pain in a couple of hours -- I really don't recommend it!

Prevention is the best option - dengue carrying mozzies bite in the early morning and have white bands on their legs (free advice: kill all mozzies not just those with white bands!) so early morning is the time to be more careful.

Some areas are more prone to mozzies - I caught it in Sanur (Bali) which has a major mozzie problem - since moving to the other side of the island, mozzies far less of an issue.

Lastly, a friend here who had malaria and dengue at the same time reckons the dengue was far worse - but I don't know how she knew which was what!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 9/1/2014 at 22:14

yuck! pain behind the eyes and in bones and joints. nope. i don't want that.

thanks for the link. the article contained exactly the details i needed. cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Saphir on 28/3/2014 at 01:32

I had it, but it was back in the late 80s. I believe I contracted it on Ko Pha-Ngan. There was nothing there then apart from a few huts on the beach and a couple of shops. And mosquitoes, obviously. On my way back to the mainland I noticed I had a sore throat. I was heading for Hat Yai and thence to Malaysia. I spent a night in Hat Yai in a very feverish condition. Was alternately freezing and boiling. Took a train down into Malaysia and went to stay in a hotel in Penang. I remember when we got to the border to check through immigration I fainted on the platform. By the time I got to Georgetown I was in a bad way. Itchy hands and ankles, vomiting, diarrhoea, unable to keep anything down, water on my skin painful, aching joints. I flew to Singapore and then home (Australia). Saw doctor, had tests, it was dengue. Could not go back to work for about 2 months. Received a phone call from the Health Dept asking me had I been to South East Asia. My doctor had had to report the case to the Dept - at that time there was no dengue in Queensland.

And yes, I was aware of dengue and malaria and did take precautions.

#4 Saphir has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 74
 Where has Saphir been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.