Text page

Health and safety

Health and safety forum

Rabies and Jap enc

Posted by alexr on 21/7/2008 at 04:44


Whilst I realise that my doctor/ travel clinic is the best place to get this kind of advice, I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can offer as I seem to be getting conflicting information from medical professionals and such like!

I am visiting Thailand (inc Chiang Mai), Laos, Vietnam (including Sapa) and Cambodia over a period of 7 weeks altogether.

I have had the major jabs - hep a and b, typoid, diptheria, tetanus and polio and of course will be taking malaria tablets with me. However, I am unclear whether or not to get Rabies and Jap enc. The most remote areas we will be visiting are Chiang Mai and Sapa in Vietnam and we will only be in these areas for a few days at a time. Therefore, is there any need for such jabs as Rabies since more often than not we will be near a medical centre? And I have heard that Jap enc is only necessary if we were in rural areas for more than a month?

I hope you can help!


#1 alexr has been a member since 20/5/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/7/2008 at 08:13 admin

Hi alexr,

For malarials, you may want to give this story on malaria pills a read

I wouldn't worry about the rabies shot as if you're bitten you'll still need to get a second shot anyway, so better off just to run the other direction whenever you come across a dog, cat or person foaming at the mouth.

Jac enc, also I'd say depends on where you'll be. You've covered all the main bases (Hep etc) -- I guess this would be one extra layer of protection, but personally I probably wouldn't bother with it.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.