Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

hay fever

Posted by buecax on 17/7/2009 at 14:45

hi all,

i am allergic to grass pollen (hay fever).

i will be travelling to north vietnam / laos / cambodia during the rain season in september / october. does anybody know if i will have trouble with hay fever there as well?

since hay fever is pretty common, maybe i can get some first-hand advice from a fellow sufferer.

#1 buecax has been a member since 15/7/2009. Posts: 44
 Send buecax a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 17/7/2009 at 15:59

Hi Buecax - I have been known to suffer badly from hay fever at times (in NZ) and travelled through Thai/Cambodia last year during May/Jun without any problem. I understand you are going at a different time, but with that being the rainy season, you will probably be OK since the rain helps to dampen down the pollens.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by BruceMoon on 17/7/2009 at 19:30

As Lisa indicates/infers, the pollen season is just as the grasses (yes, rice is a grass) matures and starts to flower.

Even so, I doubt that rice pollen will aggravate your hay fever as the pollen size is quite large (compared to the rye grasses that are typically the problem).

Also paracetamol (panadol) helps to stabalise the glands that react to pollen. So, if you get a reaction, take some paracetamol (won't stop, but helps diminish).

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by buecax on 17/7/2009 at 19:56

thanks guys!

i better take some of my usual hay fever medication with me then.

#4 buecax has been a member since 15/7/2009. Posts: 44
 Send buecax a private message 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 19/7/2009 at 21:21

I am a seasonal allergy sufferer (hay fever) as well as asthmatic and while I would never travel anywhere without meds I find that I don't need to talk them when I'm in the region, regardless of time of year or even pollution levels in places like Bangkok and Chiang Mai, a real relief not to be so depended on meds, esp. for the asthma.

#5 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Send CunningMcFar a private message   Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.