Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

Water Purifiers for 2 months in SE Asia

Posted by VanessaGoldstein on 22/1/2010 at 03:16

Hi folks,

We are traveling for two months doing Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam--in that order. What is a reasonable amount of water purifier/iodine tablets to bring with us?

Thanks! Vanessa

#1 VanessaGoldstein has been a member since 22/1/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by somsai on 22/1/2010 at 07:46

Still zero, if you don't want to contribute to air polution due to the burning of the bottles or landfill issues you can just drink what comes from the large bottles that everyone has delivered to homes and businesses. Even tiny roadside restaurants serve clean water that is delivered from a factory, no one drinks tap and no one will serve you tap water.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 22/1/2010 at 07:56

Somsai is correct. You don't need to bring anything for purifying water for any of those countries, unless you are planning on doing a lot of wilderness camping.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by VanessaGoldstein on 22/1/2010 at 10:31

Thanks both! We will bring a little for the Gibbon Experience (any feedback on that?) but otherwise we will stick with the local solution.

Best, Vanessa

#4 VanessaGoldstein has been a member since 22/1/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 7/2/2010 at 01:44

"Still zero, if you don't want to contribute to air polution due to the burning of the bottles or landfill issues you can just drink what comes from the large bottles that everyone has delivered to homes and businesses."

Somsai
I can't speak for anywhere else, but plastic is recycled here. We have poor people who come around at night and collect it up from the garbage containers, streets, etc and deliver it to a collection point on the edge of town (I've been there). It's packaged there - not sure where it goes to from that point. My wife saves ours, and we sell them to this place. Not a lot of money, but definitely some. Nobody would be paying us to dump it in a landfill.

Same in Yasothon when I'm there.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by somsai on 7/2/2010 at 04:54

The Gibbon Experience should have plenty of clean water. They've been doing the eco tourism thing for quite a while now. When I spend many days off the road I drink boiled just like the locals. It's not bad at all when you're thirsty.

Mac when I stay in Vientiane they come by and grab up the hard plastic but leave the soft. I've seen them picking the trash in Luang Prabang and doing the same. Mostly elsewhere it's landfill. I don't know about Thailand, Cambo, Vietnam, etc. I just tourist there now but I still drink from the regular pitchers of water on the table.

#6 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by apriljune on 1/6/2010 at 17:23

ows, is this really true?
i think i need to search first before going to any places to avoid such sickness back home.

#7 apriljune has been a member since 1/6/2010. Posts: 13

Posted by heddenswest on 19/5/2011 at 12:48

I just bought the UV filter SteriPen Adventurer...
I can re-use my water bottle or stick it in a cup and filter anything.
If you're at all nervous and want to save the waste from buying plastic, perhaps something to consider.

#8 heddenswest has been a member since 7/1/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by onefatmonkey on 12/7/2011 at 02:30

Hi

Just to chip in about Gibbon Experience. Definitely go - it was one of the highlights of my trip last time. Just don't expect to see any gibbons... they're very rare.

On the question of water purification tablets I agree to an extent with most people here, but... when it comes to GE I would purify the water.

A couple of the people we did the GE with got ill (at least one ended up in hospital) straight after. I don't know the details as we'd parted straight after finishing up.

The people that got ill drank the water direct, my mate and I purified our water. Now it could be completely unrelated of course but that was my experience. So my advice would be if in doubt boil or purify the water first.

#9 onefatmonkey has been a member since 11/7/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by DanielAson on 31/10/2013 at 22:34

Just buy water from a store.

#10 DanielAson has been a member since 31/10/2013. Posts: 1
 Send DanielAson a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.