Photo: Wear a helmet and be picky with your bridges.

Insurance forum

Backpackers insurance - v - Annual Travel Insurance

Posted by Rai on 4/10/2011 at 02:34

Hello all!

Could anyone advise me what insurance is "better" - backpackers or annual?
Im going backpacking to SE Asia (i.e. Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam) for 36 days, and cant make up my mind which one of those 2 to choose.
Ill definitely be going (if nothing happens during this SE trip :] ) back to SE (but different countries) next summer.
As much as Ive already searched, backpackers insurance seems to be more expensive (for the period of those 5-6 weeks costs a few £ less). Can anyone suggest which one is better for me, "not that real" type of a backpacker? :) Many thanks for your thought!

#1 Rai has been a member since 4/10/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by Rai on 4/10/2011 at 05:10

Ok, just after posting my post, came across thsi useful link:
http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=71798
Hope, it will be of a help to somebody, too!

#2 Rai has been a member since 4/10/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by cliona on 12/10/2011 at 19:51

As far as I think annual travel insurance is better if you are planning for multiple trips. Because you can have the same coverage for all your trips all year long and annual insurance are comparatively economical.

#3 cliona has been a member since 12/10/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by Saniya on 13/1/2012 at 00:56

Annual travel insurance is basically a multi trip insurance policy that covers you through out the year for your multiple trips from your country of residence. It's for people who take multiple holidays in one year.

Backpacker Travel Insurance is different it usually means you leave the UK and your insurance policy covers you for going between countries and not returning to the UK until the end of the policy.

So make a decision according to your travel trip.

#4 Saniya has been a member since 12/1/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Danwowski on 13/1/2012 at 06:33

Annual cover generally has more restrictions, as Saniya said, and often has restrictions over trip length and activities covered.

Make sure you read the small print!

#5 Danwowski has been a member since 18/11/2009. Posts: 14
 Send Danwowski a private message 

Posted by helly_smile on 31/7/2012 at 05:21

Hey Rai, could you please tell me which policy did you get that time?:) thank you

#6 helly_smile has been a member since 30/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 3
 Send helly_smile a private message 

Posted by Rai on 1/8/2012 at 12:39

Hi!
Due to work commitments, I cannot go on holidays for longer than 40 days, and therefore backpackers was not the most suitable one. I went for an annual multi trip insurance with extended stay cover of 46 days. Hope that will be of a help :)

#7 Rai has been a member since 4/10/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by carolinesarah on 2/8/2012 at 19:41

From what I've read of the policy details of most annual travel insurance is that it is for multiple trips but that each has to be no more than 30 days so if you are staying more than 30 I'd check this out.

#8 carolinesarah has been a member since 11/6/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by Rai on 3/8/2012 at 02:32

Thanks! I bought with an extended stay of 45 days. Not sure if I should tell what company that was as would be kinda advertising.

#9 Rai has been a member since 4/10/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by mariajames on 18/11/2012 at 01:40

it usually agency you leave the UK and your allowance action covers you for traveling amid countries and not abiding to the UK until the end of the policy.

#10 mariajames has been a member since 29/9/2012. Posts: 57

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.