Photo: Wear a helmet and be picky with your bridges.

Insurance forum

Travel Insurance

Posted by shaolindoman on 9/5/2007 at 03:29

So does everyone here recommend the World Nomads travel insurance. I leave next Wednesday morning so I'm trying to get this straightened out today or tomorrow. The lady at the travel clinic I received my vaccines from recommended getting some sort of "evacuation insurance" as well. She said it runs about 50 bucks and most scuba divers (which I am not) are familiar with it. It lets you be airlifted of a country in case of trouble (which I don't suspect will be the case at all). I plan to travel through Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. What do you guys suggest or has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Also, I do plan to train in Muy Thai for a week and looking over the World Nomads insurance it looks as if full contact sports are not covered. Thanks for any help.

#1 shaolindoman has been a member since 11/4/2007. Posts: 6
 Send shaolindoman a private message 

Posted by exacto on 10/5/2007 at 08:24

hey shao,

when we checked out world nomads we thought the coverage offered was good value for money. the policies seem particularly well-suited for backpacker travel. we've also seen feedback from other people that they are good about honoring claims, which is the most important part i imagine.

have you purchased your policy already? what types of coverage is most important to you? for us we weren't so worried about insuring our stuff as we were with good medical and emergency evac coverage.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by shaolindoman on 10/5/2007 at 19:01

As for my stuff, I could careless about that. The only thing I would hate to lose would be my memory card inside of my camera (because I want my pictures!!!). Other than that I am basically taking nothing of value. My main concern is medical and evacuation in case of an emergency. I've been in a bind before here in the states with the medical system and most insurance companies here are about worthless. And I have "decent" (compared to most people I know) health insurance from my employer. If they honor the medical claims, that is the most important thing for me.

#3 shaolindoman has been a member since 11/4/2007. Posts: 6
 Send shaolindoman a private message 

Posted by iwillfly525 on 12/5/2007 at 13:27

I've used Wold Nomads before. I had my claim turned down. I was in a car accident about two weeks before I bought both my plane ticket and travel insurance. As the car wreck was about 5 months before i was going to travel and the dr told me I'd me fine in a few weeks i went ahead and made travel plans. it was turned down because i had to cancel my trip due to a pre-existing condtion. (which is says in the fine print and it didn't matter that I thought i'd be able to travel at the time i bought the insurance) however, i did get great customer service from them. they do offer good medical coverage accourding to their plans (i've never had to use it, so i cant say first hand if its good or not.)

#4 iwillfly525 has been a member since 13/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 50
 Send iwillfly525 a private message   Website 

Posted by M_adz on 12/6/2009 at 12:19

Hi!

ive been checking out travel insurance for my partner and I for our trip in July and itrek seemed like a good price for a couple. has anyone used them??

#5 M_adz has been a member since 11/6/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by BruceMoon on 13/6/2009 at 09:46

To all,

I'm in Australia and I found that I can get equal or better insurance for between a third and half the price offered by World Nomads.

I searched the net on google under 'travel insurance'.

Like always, it's up to you to do your homework.

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by bradmcfc81 on 17/8/2010 at 15:57

Agree with Bruce on this one. In my opinion, World Nomads are a rip off. Just because they ADVERTISE on here, doesn't make them any good!

Shop around, and hunt out a deal. STA, for example, offer better cover than Nomads, and at a much better price.

#7 bradmcfc81 has been a member since 21/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 27

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.