Photo: Wear a helmet and be picky with your bridges.

Insurance forum

Insurance for persons over 70

Posted by wsaunders45 on 24/11/2016 at 04:27

Hello,

Quick question. I have read great things about WorldNomds and sought to purchase insurance for a nine week trip to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia this winter. But in filling out the application, there was a note that it is available only for persons under 70. I am 71. Any suggestions on a first rate travel insurance company that insures people over 70? Other suggestions?
Thanks, Will Saunders, U.S.A.

#1 wsaunders45 has been a member since 6/10/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 24/11/2016 at 14:25

Smart move buying travel insurance before you depart. If World Nomads isn't available, you might try checking a site called insuremytrip. They are a broker for several different travel insurance companies, and should have policies available for older travelers.

Generally speaking, the older you are, and the longer your trip, the more the policy will cost. You can save money if you wish by selecting policies with lower coverage amounts, higher deductibles, or particularly by picking a policy without trip interruption or cancellation coverage. The interruption and cancellation seem to be the biggest line item cost, and without them you still get the emergency medical and evacuation coverage that in my opinion is the most important part of the travel policy.

Good luck and let us know if you find something that fits your needs. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,734
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by neilmason on 25/11/2016 at 15:48

You might also like to check whether the insurance available through your credit card is sufficient for you. Many credit cards have overseas travel insurance included (if you use them for payment of your trip) and if so they are commonly for trips up to 90 days for people up to 80 years of age.

Otherwise if you are a member of an automobile association try them.

#3 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 44

Posted by sapoteseason on 9/3/2017 at 16:29

great thank you. my question too! another question. How? on the forum do i post a new question, new topic? i cant find an option. thanx

#4 sapoteseason has been a member since 23/6/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by TerroirTravel on 9/3/2017 at 17:08

Hi sapotseason,

To make a new post, enter the forum you wish to post in. Don't go into a particular post, stay on the topic page for the forum.

Below the forum name, you'll see, to the right, a line that says "click here to add a new post". And there you'll be!

#5 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Posted by sapoteseason on 9/3/2017 at 17:18

thank you. i did find that. i appreciate your very prompt response

#6 sapoteseason has been a member since 23/6/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by TerroirTravel on 25/3/2017 at 15:25

This article popped up on my news feed today, and I was reminded of this thread. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4343192/Surf-s-gran-don-t-wiped-insurance.html

#7 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Posted by cargo13 on 13/7/2017 at 22:11

I am a bit late for the original request by wsaunders45 : ) but wanted to let you know for the future, found GENERALI Travel Insurance (a brand I have known well while living in Europe) is now in the US and has a great website for travel insurance.

They were formerly CSA Travel Protection in the US which has always had great customer service & paid our claims.

For your future travels@@

#8 cargo13 has been a member since 13/7/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by neilmason on 14/7/2017 at 16:19

The previous advice to check your credit card insurance is spot-on. In fact, it may be worth getting that sort of credit card just for the insurance that comes with it.

Also, if you are a member of an automobile association, the insurance they have for their members can sometimes have a greater than standard maximum age limit.

#9 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 44

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.