Text page


Insurance forum

Travel insurance and riding motorcycles

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/2/2017 at 06:03 admin

Recently an Australian tourist had a bad motorbike accident on Ko Lanta which got quite a bit of news coverage after it emerged that because she was unlicensed, her travel insurance (Allianz) wouldn't cover her for the tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills she had.

Partly as a result of this, we've just added a new story into the planning section of the site to highlight important considerations when it comes to hiring and riding a motorbike in Southeast Asia.

Essentially, you need to be correctly licensed to ride a scooter if you also want to be insured. You also need to be wearing a helmet, be sober and so on.

The exact rules will depend on the insurance company you choose to use, the type of bike you want to ride, the country you are from and what country you will be riding in (yes it is a little complicated), but I outline some of the main considerations in the story.

You can read the full story here.

Any questions, ask away.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,099

Posted by SalGoesToVietnam on 17/2/2017 at 06:23

I read your story about riding a scooter in Vietnam, thank you. My question is, so are all the travelers there riding with no insurance? I would really like to do some touring in the south delta area on my holiday there in June, but from what you are saying/writing, it isn't possible to do with insurance?

What do you suggest? I don't really want to do an easy rider thing as I'm travelling by myself.

Thank you and thank you for the site.


#2 SalGoesToVietnam has been a member since 17/2/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/2/2017 at 18:45 admin

Hi Sal,

Sorry for the late reply.

There is no good answer unfortunately. As I understand it, in Vietnam it isn't possible for casual tourists to get a local bike license and information regarding Vietnam recognising International Driving/Riding permits is inconsistent.

This means that even if you have a bike license in your own country (I assume you do) then you probably will not be covered by travel insurance. My advice would be to contact your travel insurer and ask them, for a clear clarification beforehand and get it in writing.

Assuming you are not covered, then really your only option is to travel by bus from centre to centre—still an interesting trip, just not quite so Easyrider!


#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,099

Posted by gecktrek on 27/2/2017 at 21:48

hey, i've ridden motorcycles in vietnam a couple of times, and although i've never had a vietnamese driving license, it is possible to get insurance to cover you for the riding of a motorcycles in vietnam. to do this, you must have a motorcycle license in your home country and a motorcycle endorsed international driving permit... as somtam mentions, it's best to contact your insurer and tell them that you want to be covered to ride a motorcycle/scooter in vietnam. it is possible to arrange this, at least through australian insurers...

#4 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 182

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.