Text page


Insurance forum

UK: Warning over GAP year insurance...

Posted by tails101 on 29/6/2008 at 15:18

Making the news in the UK at the moment is the case of a 19 y/o who was injured whilst riding a moped in Vietnam. He was wearing a helmet and had a full UK driving licence but not a full UK motorbike licence and so the insurers wouldn't pay out. This clause was apparently contained in page 13 of a 64 page T&C document. It cost his Dad £25 000 to fly him home!

The policy was issued by one of the UK's biggest chemist chains who actually quoted the family £85 000 to fly him home.

Apparently some GAP year insurances do cover riding mopeds as long as you wear a helmet - so if you're heading off on your travels, make sure you're insurance covers everything you need it to!



#1 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/6/2008 at 16:01 admin

Thanks for the report tails -- I've made those links in the above post live so they're easier for people to read.

The chemist involved is Boots.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by tails101 on 29/6/2008 at 17:24

Thanks Somtam... appreciated.

Another point worth mentioning... if anyone has recently purchased insurance in the UK and subsequently finds it isn't suitable for whatever reason, there is a 14 day cooling off period in which you can cancel the policy and receive a full refund.

#3 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.