Photo: Kids running on Batu Belig, Bali.

Travel with kids forum

New forum: Travel with kids

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/10/2010 at 09:25 admin

Despite what you may think, the overhead lockers on flights would not be better utilised as storage for small children. Travel with kids is great -- really ... honestly. Look, we've done it -- it does have its own set of unique challenges, but there are big rewards too -- really!

We do have a summary story on the site regarding travelling in Asia with children that parents may find of interest along with the discussion in the forum.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,968
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by suhasj123 on 27/2/2018 at 06:46

The link you provided here is really useful for me because I am planning for vacation with my kids. Thanks informing us and giving this amazing tips.

#2 suhasj123 has been a member since 23/8/2017. Posts: 5
 Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/2/2018 at 21:18 admin

Ahh, yes that link was broken (the post was seven years old)... but thanks for pointing it out.

Anyway, for travelling with kids we have the following overview pieces:

General overview
Kid-friendly destinations
Tips on packing for a baby
Tips on eating with kids on the road
Tips on safety with kids in Southeast Asia

If you have other questions, please do ask.

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,968
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 13/3/2018 at 05:53

Both my kids turned out to be champion travelers; flexible and patient and cooperative and helpful. For us, the trick was to start early and often. We knew we had a few long trips in our future, so we started the boys off with some short, overnight trips, to get them used to being in the car, or on the bus, or working their way through airports, along with the rituals of checking into hotels, etc.

Another trick we learned early on traveling with children was a simple reward system. For them, it was something as straighforward as a snack of french fries or spending an hour at a local play ground. Knowing they could look forward to a good diner also went a long way.

We made the children part of the experience, but not the focus of it, and have great memories as a result. By building their travel skills early in their lives, we never needed to adjust our plans because we had children traveling with us, or worry about how they would behave.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,766
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.