Photo: Kids running on Batu Belig, Bali.

Travel with kids forum

Car Seat Hire and Boat Trips

Posted by TWTLeighan on 11/1/2012 at 03:58

Hi there, I have a few questions regarding car and child seat hire in Thailand as well as boat trips.

1. I am wondering how easy it is to hire a good quality, safe toddler car seat in Thailand.
If we dont hire a car, is it ok to travel in Taxi's / Tuk Tuk with baby in a carrier.
2. If we do hire a car can we still travel with the toddler in a baby carrier? or are there laws stipulating children should be in a car seat?

Boat Trips
3. We thinking about a day trip to one on the islands - is this safe to do with a toddler? Do boats have life jackets on board for toddlers?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

#1 TWTLeighan has been a member since 3/1/2012. Location: Australia. Posts: 3
 Send TWTLeighan a private message   Website 

Posted by busylizzy on 11/1/2012 at 04:22

Madmac would be a good one to give you some info on the car seat questions. Send him a PM if he doesn't popup on here in the next day or two.

In terms of life jackets on boats - that completely depends on the boat. Even adults would be lucky to have a lifejacket handy on some boats! If you are talking about a longboat for your day trip, I have seen some with jackets, and some without. I'd be surprised if they had them for kids though, but it might be a case of asking around once you are there. If you are looking at a more commercial operation, then maybe google some of their websites and contact them to find out.

Not that I want to scare you, but TF posted a link to this article recently: The indication here is that they had life jackets, so that's good news.

Funnily enough, I noticed life jackets for sale at several places in Pakse (Laos). It seemed so unusual that it actually stood out as something I noticed! It was just a casual observation so I didn't look at them too closely. But maybe that's an option for you: either bring one with you or buy one when you get there. (I was going to add a comment that you might find it's not worthwhile for only a day trip to an island.... but hey, it's your child!).

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.