Photo: Kids running on Batu Belig, Bali.

Travel with kids forum

3 weeks in Cambodia/Laos with 7 year old- does our plan look OK?

Posted by cathf2 on 7/4/2017 at 14:27

Hello- I am traveling to Laos and Cambodia in October with my husband and our 7 year old son. We have traveled in Thailand with our son (and Vietnam/China/Myanmar with no kids) but this is our first time in Laos and Cambodia. We will have 3-3.5 weeks.
Do you think the below itinerary is reasonable? Any suggestions on what we should add or subtract? Any hidden off the beaten path gems to suggest? Any suggestions on which Cambodian island is good for a family? In Thailand, we loved Koh Mak (it was tiny, slow, and easy/safe to ride scooters which the 7 year old LOVED). We would like to avoid bus trips if possible but don't mind flying, boats or trains.
Thank you very much- I appreciate your input.

Boise, Idaho- Bangkok 2 OCT.
Arrive Bangkok 3 OCT. Spend night near small airport (shortest/cheapest way for us to get to Luang Prabang from Boise)
Bangkok- Luang Prabang 4 OCT (1 hr flight)

Stay in Luang Prabang old town area for the Festival of Lights 4 Oct-9 Oct (5 nights)
Stay outside of Luang Prabang (somewhere a hour or more away on the river- rural/villages) approx 9 Oct- 12 Oct (3 nights/4 days)

Fly Luang Prabang-Siem Reap approx 12 Oct -15 Oct (3 nights/4 days)
Fly Siem Reap- Sihanoukville (1 hr flight) then boat to island- approx 15 Oct- 18 Oct (4 nights/5 days)

Sihanoukville- Kampot / Kep via private cab ($35) or train- approx 18 OCT- 21 Oct (3 or 4 nights)

Stay in Kampot 3 or 4 nights and do a day trip to Kep and Rabbit Island.
Kampot- Phnom Penh via train (approx 4 hrs) 21 Oct- 23 Oct ( 1-2 nights in Phnom Penh)
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jun/05/trains-phnom-penh-sihanoukville-kampot

Phnom Pehn- Boise- approximately 23 Oct

Of course it would be even better if we could add a couple days to make it 3.5 weeks. They we could stay a little longer in Kampot/Kep and whatever island we go to.

#1 cathf2 has been a member since 7/4/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by FoundVagabond on 12/8/2017 at 10:34

Posted from within Vietnam.

We took our 10 and 8 year olds through Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia three years ago and they had no trouble at all. We are on another trip this year focusing on Cambodia and Vietnam, they are two years older and just as good on the road. As far as your Cambodia portion, you may want to consider spending a night or two in Baddambang - there is a cave there where hundreds of thousands of bats come flying out each and every single night at dusk, kids loved it, something very unique. It is a 3 hour bus ride from Siam Reap or a 9 hour boat ride, and from there you can bus to Phnom Penh. the town itself doesn't have much for kids activities, just a quiet, smaller place, but a little more authentic than Siem Reap, which we also loved, just in a different way. The other thing I'd suggest is that there is beach town called Otres that is just down from Sihanoukville that is really cool - a little rugged and backpackerish, but cheap and has a great vibe. We did not go to the islands (weather made the seas too rough), but I am sure they will be fantastic.
I write a daily travel blog at blog.lifeisgrand.org that may be of some help to you. Best of luck and have a great time!

#2 FoundVagabond has been a member since 25/8/2014. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.