Photo: Kids running on Batu Belig, Bali.

Travel with kids forum

Travelling with children in Thailand

Posted by gazehunter on 19/11/2009 at 18:59

We are a family of 5 (16, 9 & 6 months) travelling to koh-maak for 4 nights and from there to Chang-Mai by train for a few days. We are looking for a balance of child friendly but not commercial (touristy) type of experience. Can any one help? Oh, and if you can recommend a not-too-expensive resort on Koh-Maak (one which doesn't charge a compulsory x-mas dinner fee)

#1 gazehunter has been a member since 19/11/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/11/2009 at 07:47 admin

Most places that can be booked online do the Xmas gala dinner ripoff unfortunately.

If you're arriving four days before Xmas, you may be able to get away without a reservation, but if you're looking at arriving on Xmas eve, then its a good idea.

As for recommendations, I've got a whole swag of updated Ko Maak research that is going online over the weekend -- so I'll answer thaqt bit of your question in once it is online, as I've not read it yet myself.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by gazehunter on 20/11/2009 at 15:08

Hi somtam2000,
Thank you for your reply, I look forward to reading your Ko Maak updates. The whole 'Great Xmas dinner swindle' thing seems very cynical to me. We want to give our children a really great experience (we don't really do packages) but I am just a little worried we might be caught out if we don't pre-book.
BTW - your article on travelling with children, 10 tips on packing for a baby in Southeast Asia, was really helpful. Did you post any more?

#3 gazehunter has been a member since 19/11/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.