Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Travel news forum

Ko Phi Phi shooting

This form has been closed and no further posts are being accepted.

Posted by donmillerx on 29/12/2009 at 09:38

Horrible news:
Apparently three young, thai teenagers were shot, at a beach bar on Ko Phi Phi, Christmas day. One, killed instantly. Apparently, violence reaches even the most beautiful, remote corners of the earth.
I can't imagine how this must be affecting the small island. My deepest condolences go out to their friends, family and everyone affected by this horrible tragedy.

#1 donmillerx has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 17

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2009 at 15:21 admin

Terrible news -- I've been trying to find a news report of this online but can't find anything -- did you read about it online?

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by greenman42 on 29/12/2009 at 17:26

I found this, although it gives no information.

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Thailand/South-West-Thailand/Ko-Phi-Phi/blog-463028.html

#3 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by donmillerx on 11/2/2010 at 11:59

Sorry, unfortunately that's all that I found.

#4 donmillerx has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 17

Posted by MADMAC on 11/2/2010 at 12:44

This is not uncommon at all. Thailand has a very high rate of gun violence. Thailand has the fourth highest rate in the world (although there are no stats for some countries like Somalia) at 41.5 per hundred thousand. Contrast that with the US, which many people cite for a high rate of gun violence, which is 9.1 per hundred thousand. We had a killing on my street last year (and one kid was wounded). At the fair this year five kids were shot, two fatally. At the local club a guy was shot and killed when my wife was there. I saw a shooting at the Carabao concert here. fortunately for tourists, this violence is almost all Thai on Thai and revolves around issues of face and gang conflict which we aren't part of. The fact that Thais are friendly and smile a lot has given many people the false impression that theirs is a peaceful culture - it's not.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Forum closed

This forum has been closed and no further posts are allowed.