Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Unlocking Phone

Posted by Phiddy on 30/12/2011 at 10:49

I have an iPhone 4 which I plan on taking with me to SE Asia, I've seen a lot on here about making sure phones are unlocked, how do I find out if mine has been unlocked? And if it is should I / how do I unlock it? I will probably take it with me anyway even if I don't unlock it as I use it for taking photos sometimes and can use it to access wifi, although it will be pretty pointless if I can't make calls with it. Ta

#1 Phiddy has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 64

Posted by DLuek on 30/12/2011 at 11:02 TF writer

Where did you buy your iPhone? If US, Canada, Japan, or Korea it is most likely locked. If it's from US you might be able to unlock it, depends on which company you got it from (if AT&T you should be able to unlock it, if Verizon - nope). If you bought the phone without going through a service provider it will definitely be unlocked. I'm pretty sure you can avoid unlocking any iPhone and still making it work by using a Still Sim along with a normal micro SIM. This is what they did for me at MBK in Bangkok when I got here for my iPhone 4 from AT&T (I'm actually not sure if Verizon iPhones can work with Still Sim or not)... Still Sim works pretty well overall, although it can be a pain to turn the phone back on if it gets switched off.

If you're coming from Europe it should be unlocked already.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Phiddy on 30/12/2011 at 13:25

Well I come from the UK so it should be unlocked. Actually on previous trips abroad the phone automatically used the local networks, does this mean that it is unlocked or do all phones do this? Thanks for the advice

#3 Phiddy has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 64

Posted by sayadian on 27/10/2012 at 07:19

Phiddy
'on previous trips abroad the phone automatically used the local networks'
That's Roaming and usually costs a lot more than a local SIM.
I thought most phones in UK were locked to a network.
You can have your phone unlocked in Asia relatively cheaply but remember it voids your guarantee.
Dluek
What is a STILL SIM?
I hate to add this but from my experience i-phones are heavily targetted by thieves in parts of S.E.Asia so keep it zipped in your pocket and NEVER leave it lying on a table.

#4 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by pucca_girl45 on 14/12/2012 at 23:45

Hi
does anyone know where a reliable place to go in BKK to unlock an ATT iphone 4 and get a SIM card to use for international and local calls? how much does something like that typically cost? I have an ATT iphone 4 that is not in use and I'd like to take it with me to use for wifi, making calls, and taking photos while i'm there.

thanks!
pucca

#5 pucca_girl45 has been a member since 4/11/2012. Posts: 8

Posted by cbg0927 on 26/11/2013 at 13:35

Pucca_girl45 - I don't have experience getting an iPhone unlocked in Bangkok, however I purchased a factory unlock code on eBay for about $6 USD and it worked perfectly on my iPhone 4s. Make sure you purchase from a seller with good reviews though, sometimes the codes can be half-ass and only unlock your iphone until your next reboot if you purchase from a bad seller.

I found this guide to using an iPhone in Thailand super helpful:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k3814621-The_Definitive_Guide_to_Using_an_iPhone_in_Thailand-Thailand.html

#6 cbg0927 has been a member since 30/7/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 62
 Where has cbg0927 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.